Monday, October 13, 2014

Exploring The Local Beaches


We had a beautiful sunny couple of days last week, so we decided to explore the local beaches. I had googled "Humboldt County tide pools" and found this little blurb about a beach we had not heard of:

Luffenholtz park offers a sweeping overlook of the Pacific Ocean, picnic area and trail down to the beach. This is a spectacular rocky cove with tidepools and wildlife. Be aware of the tide and avoid becoming stranded. 


Luffenholtz County Park is only about ten miles north of us. So, we went intending to explore the tide pools, but when we got down to the beach we were suddenly mesmerized by the rocks. The colors were so interesting and beautiful.

We had completely forgotten about the green rocks on the north coast.  They were everywhere. We couldn't remember what kind of rocks these are, but planned to do a little online sleuthing when we got home.

Just as we were getting comfortable with all the crazy green colors around the beach, we came upon this beauty. Wow. Now we were going to have to add red rock to the search as well.
Turns out, it's not so easy to identify rocks online. We're pretty sure the green are serpentine, but we could be wrong about that. And who knows what the red is. Someone suggested Jasper. Your guess is as good as ours.

We did get to see something that was beautifully identifiable. A lovely black oystercatcher on a rock.

We paid attention to the tide. It was close to low tide for the day. Roger went out to explore a bit of the rocks and tide pools.
And then we decided to drive a little bit south to Moonstone Beach. Really pretty there too in a completely different way. I'll do a post about that later in the week.

We love the north coast, can you tell?

17 comments:

  1. Isn't the beach below Patricks Point called Agate Beach? Beautiful pebbles there too, that I'd forgotten about until I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beach combing and wandering round but living inland does not let me do it . Some nice rocks you came across

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when you take the time to write. I am swept away, exploring the beach with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great shots and interesting commentary, Robin Andrea. I love the shot with the huge waves crashing in front of Roger. The green rocks probably are serpentine. John McPhee has a really interesting section on the formation of serpentine in his book "Assembling California."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos. I love Oregon's rocky coasts also

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! Yes, good you are back at the shore again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo! I could spend a lot of time there! Lovely photos of a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those colored rocks. We have always collected rocks from places we go. Long ago I got some really nice sandstone rocks from somewhere in the upper West (Montana? I don't remember.). I brought one home and put it out next to the driveway. Over the next few years with all our rain, it disintegrated into little sandy pebbles. It's funny that a rock sometimes can't survive out of its native environment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous-- Yes, I do think that there is a beach further north called Agate Beach. There were people at this beach collecting shiny stones by the tide pools.

    Bill-- We also love walking along the beach. Low tides are some of our favorite times!

    jeanne marie-- It's fun to be doing a bit of writing again. The ocean is very evocative. Glad you liked it.

    Scott-- I wrote a California geologist who has a blog and is a writer for KQED and sent him the photos. I'm waiting to hear from him. I do think the rocks are serpentine. I learned that serpentine is the state rock of California. Woohoo. I love learning new stuff.

    Rain-- Yes, the rocky coast of Oregon is absolutely beautiful. This part of North America is simply awesome!

    kathy a-- We are so glad to be back here too. Love the ocean and all that it provides.

    John--- I was thinking that you would like this beach. I would love to see the photos you would take here.

    Mark-- How incredibly interesting to know that a sandstone rock disintegrated out of its native environment. Wow. It is quite a thing to know that even a rock has a place that it is truly native to. Earth is so full of splendid surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having grown up in Kansas and then moving to Ontario, the oceans of the world have always been far, far away and a constant magnet. Unfortunately, I can count time by the oceans in my years of travel as very little. Wish I were closer. Thanks for your sharing!@

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sky-- We feel lucky on days like this one!

    Ontario Wanderer-- I hope you get to spend some time by the ocean. I understand the magnet of its beautiful attraction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what amazing beaches. I am so use to miles of flat, sandy beaches in Fl. Yours have much more variety and interest. Hope you find out what those amazing rocks are. I'd have taken some home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll take these rocky beaches over flat ones any time! So good to look at these images.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those oystercatchers. Your photographs are gorgeous. I forgot how lovely the beaches are down there. The first thing I thought Of was sand in my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those tides are amazing. Great photographs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Arkansas Patti-- We also have miles and miles of flat beaches. Interesting, but not full of beautiful rocky tide pools or amazing green rocks! We love this stuff.

    Isabelita-- Even if we don't get there often, it's wonderful knowing it's there whenever we want to take another look. It's a ten minute drive. The redwood forest is a little closer, and also a treat for the eyes.

    Dave-- I was so happy to see that oystercatcher. It was way out on a rock all by itself. That orange beak just stood out! It's fun being back at the beach, but I must admit I forgot about the sand until I took my sneakers off in the bedroom. Whoops!

    NCmountainwoman-- We had a pretty big tide swing last week with an eight foot difference. We headed out for the lowest tide of the week. Glad you liked the photos.

    ReplyDelete