Thursday, June 04, 2015

Almost Instant Replay

Yes, you've seen this photo before. It was in the post from May 31st. You're probably wondering why I am reposting it. Well, as usual, there's a story involved.

I didn't identify this bird in the previous post. I just thought it was a juvenile red-shouldered hawk and didn't think much more about it. But on Tuesday morning some friends on Facebook shared a link to a new program at the Cornell website that lets you upload bird photos and help you identify the species. I thought it sounded pretty interesting, so I picked this photo to upload.

Well, guess what, this is not a red-shouldered hawk at all. It's a juvenile red-tailed hawk light morph. What a wonderful surprise that was. Check out that website. It is truly remarkable.

7 comments:

  1. Good work, round here we just get Buzzards & Kites with the odd Falcon & Hake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The High Voltage photo. Thanks for the link to that website. My favorite red-tailed hawk memory is of hearing and then seeing one above my head after parking on a turnout and standing on the hillside to see the first views of the ocean from the road that goes from Ferndale to the Lost Coast. For me, the sound of a red-tailed hawk goes with that landscape and ocean view.

    You got me wondering about "light morph," and I found this which appealed to me because I love words and playing with words and their meanings:

    http://www.kastehachapibird.org/birding-articles/86-phase-morph-or-color-variations-.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill-- We've been seeing this bird around for a few weeks. It'll be fun to watch it grow up!

    am-- Interesting thing about the sound of the Red-tailed hawk, it is very often used as the sound for an eagle in movies. Thank you for that link. I had no idea that there was such a discussion about this one word describing birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got a positive ID. I use the Cornell birding site a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NCmountainwoman-- It's so cool now to be able to upload a photo and have their ID tools works so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's a very cool program, Robin. I love your photo!

    ReplyDelete