Thursday, July 23, 2015

Many Moons

Roger looked at the window and said, "I can see the moon tonight." It was a beautiful clear night. We had turned out the lights in our bedroom, and the window above our bed was open for the cool night air. The window has double panes, with sliders that meet in the middle. When I looked through the four panes out my side of the window, I saw this:
I thought it was so interesting. I said to Roger, "This is so weird, but I see a bunch of moons around the moon." I grabbed the camera and tried to take a photo what the reflection looked like. When he looked out his side of the window through the four panes, he saw this:

He said he saw a bunch of moons too. We didn't know then, that we were seeing very different reflections while looking out the window at exactly the same time. Then one of us described what we were seeing. I looked out his side of the window and photographed his view.

We have no idea why it looked like this, and why our views looked so different. We laughed so loud we hoped that we didn't wake the neighbors.

12 comments:

  1. I can see the moon though the bathroom window at night when I lay in bed, my big regret was not having a roof window put in out bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those reflections in window glass can be one of the frustrations of photographing it through the window. Usually I get one. Sometimes, I think the camera can do it with the right angle-- or make it wrong angle if you want a clean moon shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I heard you two laughing, all the way to Davis! It's one of the fun things about being your house guest, to hear you two kids giggling in the next room when my head hits the pillow. Hope the new place affords the same opportunity -- you have already designated my room, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill-- This view is from a wall window above our bed. We had to stand on the bed to look out at the sky! We're planning on putting in skylights in our new house. Can't wait!

    Dave-- Skylights (roof windows) are the best. We're already looking online to see what we can get.

    Rain-- Usually reflections annoy me too, but these were so interesting and different that we were delighted with them!

    NCmountainwoman-- Love that, it could be the beginning of a wonderful poem.

    Tara-- I thought you might have heard us! LOL. Oh yes, the guest room will be ready for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as well you don't live on Jupiter with its 63 moons! You can go mad looking at the moon, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John-- That must be why they call it lunacy!

      Delete
  6. Didn't see what you meant till I clicked on the picture. Fascinating to see so many moons. I would love a skylight except when time came to wash it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti-- Thank you for clicking on the pic. Yes, there were a lot of reflected moons, and weirdly they were reflected differently from Roger's perspective and mine. Haven't figured that out yet. Good point about cleaning those skylights. It is a lot of work!

      Delete
  7. These shots are interesting. They remind me of a program I worked on before I retired. I found myself mentally calculating reflecting surfaces. It's interesting that there are really very many reflections, but most are too dim to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark-- We've been having unusually clear nights lately and have been watching this wonderful reflection through the four panes of glass. It's been fun trying to photograph the different views as we change the angle of our eyes.

      Delete