Thursday, August 13, 2015

Distractions and Updates


Just finding beauty wherever and whenever we can
Moving is a stressful thing. We should know. We've done it many, many times these past twelve years. It's not the packing as much as it's the communicating with everyone about when to shut off services in one place and turn them on in another. For most utilities, it takes a simple phone call, or an email, or a visit to the city office. But for A*T  it takes several phone calls, online chats, and emails, and STILL they get it completely and utterly wrong. C'mon folks, it's just a request to turn off the landline and dsl service at one house and turn it on at another. How difficult can that be? Turns out, it is more than just difficult, it is "bang your head against the wall" impossible. As of this writing, we are not absolutely certain they won't try to turn on our service at the new address on Friday August 14th, while the sellers are still living there. We got an email yesterday that was all cheerful and excited with the subject line: Your U-verse installation date is almost here.

No, no, no it's not. We wanted it to be installed on August 21st, the day we are moving in, but since they got it wrong, they can't turn it on until August 24th. Oh okay, just three days without our landline or internet at our new house. Thank you A*T for your incredible attention to detail. But we're still not sure about the 14th, and we haven't received a cheerful confirmation about the 24th either. This after hours and hours on the phone with support staff. Ah, this what stress is all about.
But on the very bright side, I did have a lovely correspondence with Les Cowley at Atmospheric Optics. I had sent him the photos of the moon's multiple reflections in the window and asked him if he could explain the optics of it. He wrote back and said he would like to use the photos on his site to talk about how people are deceived by these images, thinking they are mirages or things other than reflections in multiple panes of glass. So, some time in the future we'll be getting our explanation. He liked our whimsical window of many lunacies. He was glad that I didn't think they were any more than that. It surprised us to know that people think they could be anything else. Ah well. The above photo was taken during a smoky morning here the other day. I tried and tried, but could not capture the color of the sun except in its reflection on our window. And, just to be absolutely clear, I did not at any time think there were two suns. LOL!

21 comments:

  1. I feel for you in your interactions with one of the least customer friendly companies on earth. I've dealt with them so many times and, each time, I vow I will never do it again. But they buy up the competition, sneak in through the back door, and giggle at me when I express astonishment that they can remain in business with an attitude that says, essentially, "you must deal with us and we feel compelled to toy with you until you scream." Enjoy the move to the extent you can and keep looking skyward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, you didn't. Repost this using AT&T's full initials. You could get some help if someone there reaads it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ATT is possibly even more hair-tearingly bad than my internet service provider. Which is why neither company will get both my internet and my phone service, no siree, nevah. I hope it all works out in the end!

    Another great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh on the ATT and hurray for skies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you and Les have an on-going correspondence. Can't wait for his post! Although your interactions with ATT have been frustrating, they do make for good blog fodder. So, let's make a pact: we shall never ever ever ever move again. The undertaker will have to remove me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well if it is any consolation it is no different in this country though I think things have now gotten better than they were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have felt your pain--ugh! And that's very interesting about the dual moons. I absolutely believe that there are people who believe nutty things when they see ordinary physical phenomena. I think many of them work at ATT :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately, things aren't much better up here in the Frozen North. Different names and players - same old service issues! Looking forward to Les Cowley's follow up on the moon reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I once had a letter from the telephone company telling me that they would connect our phone as soon as they had an engineer in the area. Their depot was just across the street from where I lived!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many reasons why this is my last home before the "old folks" one. Moving is just one big ulcer.
    Hope you don't go into withdrawal during those days without service. We are all so hooked.
    May it only get better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello friends-- Thank you for your wonderful comments. We sincerely appreciated reading all your stories about telephone service. Just thought I should update you with the news that good ol' AT&T got it completely wrong and turned off our telephone and internet service today. It's a good thing we went to Verizon yesterday and picked up a jetpack wifi hotspot service provider. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to leave this comment. I feel bad for the sellers of the house we are buying. They probably have no idea what's happening, but their telephone number is changing to our number TODAY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sad that in this day and age IT transferring is not totally seamless and easy. Glad you are sufficiently grounded that you realized there were not in fact two suns. Great photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the big telecoms ssssssssuck. I was listening to a story on the Albany public radion station yesterday about how many people in NY don't have high speed internet available--including in parts of Albany, the capitol of NY, and even parts of NYC. And Verizon says they have NO INTENTION of providing service any time soon. But let a community try to create a municipal broadband service and V or ATT will be dragging them into court in a nanosecond claiming "unfair competition."
    I loathe phone companies. And I'm sorry I just hijacked this thread!
    So that's the sun through smoke? Holy moly! Is that air over you and if so, are there days that you have to stay inside?

    ReplyDelete
  14. NCmountainwoman-- Glad you liked the photos. We are still having a shouting match with A*T. They have promised to resume service here for the week and start service at the new house on the 21st. We'll see if that actually happens. Hah!

    kathy a-- It is absolutely insane.

    CCorax-- Yes, the big telecoms are about as incompetent as it gets. Unbelievable that they are able to be so terrible and yet have so much money. We really have no power. Sigh. Yes, that is the sun through smoke. The sky wasn't nearly as smoky as the photo suggests. There had been a shift in the winds and the smoke blew our way for a while. It wasn't terrible. The sun was a crazy deep orange.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The best sunsets in LA during the late '70's were through the worst of the smog. (The smog is actually a lot better now; making changes really did work, at least to a visible degree.)

    Shouting and having a paper/web trail of righteousness sometimes gets better service. But that sure takes a lot out of a person. Cheers! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. kathy a-- My family moved to California from New Jersey in 1970. I remember that first summer, my eyes literally stung and teared from the intense smog. Now there are probably twice as many people and cars there, and yes, the air has definitely improved. Our last conversation with A*T yesterday, the person on the phone said he thought he would have our service restored for a week here and turned on at the new house on the right day next week. He said, "I will call you back this afternoon while this is all being worked out." We never heard from him again. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Robin Andrea, I feel your pain about moving. After moving to the country, I had to have a different land phone number. Unfortunately for me, the previous family (who had the number) apparently doesn't believe in paing bills. I moved in 2013, and I'm still getting collection calls for them. Here's hoping you don't have the same experience - on top of all the other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you sent the moon reflection pic to Atmospheric Optics, and that your cloud pictures have been featured on that other site. Keep looking up and taking great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oldwhitelady-- Oh yes, we've gotten phone numbers of people who have moved and not paid their bills. I think it must happen pretty often. Such a bummer. Nice to hear from you!

    Miz S-- Atmospheric Optics is one of my favorite sites. I check in there often to see the amazing sights the people send Les Cowley from all around the world. Such inspiring stuff. I am obsessed with the sky and clouds and light. I can't even make myself stop!

    ReplyDelete
  20. After having been a perfect, paid up and on time, Bell Canada customer for over 35 years (!) we decided to go completely wireless, and lose the $50/mo bill on a phone we rarely used. I called up, requested a discontinuation, expected a battle and a sales pitch, but got absolutely nothing!! Quite disappointed actually! :) Service curtailed the next day, with nary a thank you. Hmpph!

    ReplyDelete