Monday, August 03, 2015

It's Roger's Birthday!

Roger turns 73 years old today. It seems crazy that he's been on the planet for 73 rotations around the sun, but he has. He received two birthday cards in the mail from old friends, and they both had grand messages. One said, "You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely," (a quote of Ogden Nash). The other had a lovely photo of redwoods with these words, "Birthdays always remind me of the giant redwoods on the West Coast. The way they stand tall and proud, year after year, century after century. Their majestic beauty never fails to take my breath away." Then, inside it says, "Thank you for planting them." Hah! Both cards capture the humor and pleasure of growing old and laughing all the way. That's the way Roger does it, with great joy and huge laughter.

We had an early, surprising birthday present on our neighborhood walk on Sunday. We usually head out around 10:00 am for our first walk of the day, but it was foggy and not particularly inviting. So we headed out a bit later after lunch. We were pretty close to this old cow pasture, the first one we photographed shortly after we moved here last year. There was a man standing nearby. He had a document and a pen and was busily looking around and measuring stuff. When we walked past him, he looked up and said, "Are you the Dharma Bums?" What? Did he really just ask us if we are the Dharma Bums, or were we imagining such a crazy question? We said, "Did you just ask us if we're The Dharma Bums? What?" He said, "Yes, I've been reading your blog for years. Congratulations on buying that house." Needless to say we were absolutely blown away. We would have never guessed in a million years that someone would actually read our blog and recognize us out in the real world. It was great and funny and a wonderful crazy birthday present for Roger.

So, Steve (the guy in the street) noticed I didn't have a camera with me. I told him that the skies were just not inviting the way they were yesterday (Saturday). I said, "Did you see the photo of the smoky crepuscular rays? They were amazing." He said he hadn't seen it. Then I remembered that I had actually posted it on Facebook and not here on the blog. I told Steve that I would post the above photo here for him. So, Steve, here it is. Thank you for recognizing us and saying hello!

It has been crazy foggy and smoky here. The skies are weirder than ever. The above photo is the sky about an hour before sunset. And the photo below is our car sprinkled with ash, and the fires aren't even that close by.
It's August in California, and it's Roger's 73rd birthday, and we're laughing at how crazy it all is everywhere all the time.

39 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, young Roger! (I can say that; I'm 73 and 1/12 th.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you slightly older young susannah

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Rodger, remember your as young as you feel or is it the woman you feel. Anyway have a good one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. not touching the feel thing tho

      Delete
  3. Yes! The humor and pleasure of growing old! Happy Birthday, Roger. Birthday time again.I remember the video on another birthday when you showed how old you were by showing the numbers with your fingers. Could that have been 72 years old? Time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Roger. Ah to be 73 again.
    What a neat surprise to have been recognized. You are getting famous.
    So sorry you are getting the ill effects from all the fires. I have been wondering and hope you stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's my fifteen minutes. i'm soaking it up. we are safe and slightly smoky air is nothing like what people inland are dealing with.

      Delete
  5. This is a neat post all around--from Roger's birthday, to Steve's recognizing the Bums, the ashfalls, and the interesting skies.

    By the way, here's something to date and make Roger feel older. Our local public TV station broadcast "Annie Hall" over the weekend. We've seen the movie many times and we enjoyed it once again. At one point, Annie says, "Neat!" and Woody Allen's character takes her to task: "Neat?! What do you think this is, the 50s? Who says 'neat' anymore?"

    We'll, I still use it, and I noticed that Arkansas Patti used it in her comment, too. So, there, Woody! (I guess we're all old.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. neato, and twenty three skidoo to you. thanks.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to Roger. I guess Roger and I are the same age. A good age to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. a good age indeed and better than the alternative.

      Delete
  7. 73 years old. Roger, you're old enuf to be my . . . big brother!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. keep it real little bro, or you'll get a nougie. and don't make me run, 'cause i can't keep up with you.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday! We'll eat cake to honor you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, Roger! Sounds like it's off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. it is a wonderful start to my next year.

      Delete
  10. Happy 73rd completion of another journey around the Sun, Roger! Of course you two would be recognized. By now, I'm sure you're well known by most every hip cat on the left coast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Roger!! How lovely to be recognized as the bums, right there in your new hometown -- the world is small and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. my first thought was... "oh gee. i have zero memory of meeting this man"

      Delete
  12. Glad you liked the card. My husband (younger than you by two months) picked it out. That is too cool that your celebrity was noted by Steve! Small world. What? No autographs?

    A friend returned from Tanzania recently and marveled at how well he was treated because of his elder status. What a switch from our culture. You want respect, old man? Go to Africa!

    Happy Birthday, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. you two do know me. i understand that elders are revered in china too.

      Delete
  13. Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Roger. Love the coincidence. I think it's a good omen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, today is the day. you are right on time.

      Delete
  14. Ooops! Looks like my comment didn't go through earlier. I must be a robot, which, as I discovered today, is not a good thing to be in the U.S. Anyhow, Happy Trip-Around-The-Sun Day, Roger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. i won't be visiting the city of brotherly love.

      Delete
  15. The HitchBOT incident is, unfortunately, just so typical here. Sometimes I love Philadelphia, and sometimes it just makes me crazy and I can't wait to move away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday, Roger! Hope you have a happy, healthy year ahead with great adventures! Also hoping you two stay cool and safe as California continues to heat up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. belated thank you. there is the adventure of moving coming up.we are cool and safe on the coast.

      Delete
  17. Happy birthday, Roger!

    It's really cool that someone recognized you all from reading your blog. I wish something like that would happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ack!
    I missed this post AND the Dread Pirate's birthday.
    Happy belated birthday Roger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. i appreciate all well wishes. i am perennially late with birthday stuff,

      Delete
  19. A very Happy Birthday Mr. Pirate Roger!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday, Roger. I really enjoyed getting to read your cards! Very funny. The photos are terrific, too!

    ReplyDelete