Thursday, August 27, 2015

Post Number 1500

First bit of iridescents over the new backyard
This is our 1500th post. Quite a milestone for us to have kept with the blog for so long over all these years. I'm pretty sure that there were a few earlier posts pre-2005 that somehow got lost during some blogger transition. I remember posting something on election day in 2004, hoping that George W wouldn't be re-elected. Ah well, we all know how that turned out.
Some iridescents just before sunset
We've been settling in at the new house and enjoying it very much. We're looking forward to the window replacements, which is supposed to happen next Tuesday. We'll take before and after photos to share here, so you can see the difference.
Lenticular formations looking east from the front yard
It was intensely foggy the first several days we were here, so staying inside and putting stuff away was an easy task without too much distractions of sunlight and blue sky and clouds. But all that changed on Wednesday and Thursday. Beautiful skies in every direction. We could hardly stay inside, so we didn't!
We did get out to the marsh about an hour before sunset Wednesday evening. It was lovely out there, but still no dabbling or diving ducks. We're hoping something tragic isn't unfolding before our eyes, but the dearth of birds is quite unsettling. I made a short video clip of this heron hunting. We loved the light rippling on the dry grasses and on the Great Blue Heron's body. Sure is great to have this sunlight. We appreciated every minute of it. I tried to embed the video but the address youtube provided did not work, no matter how many times I copied and pasted it. It's just a 14 second video, if you're interested.

One last bit of news, the previous owners of the house left a hummingbird feeder hanging by the dining room sliding door. I just couldn't bear to let it go empty and have hungry hummers looking in at us while we were feasting on our meals. So, I'm feeding hummingbirds again, after more than a year of no bird feeding. At least we know that there won't be any bears coming to knock it down here. At least, we hope not!

PS: Much gratitude to Loren for emailing me to let me know I had inadvertently called this heron an egret. Getting old is so much fun! Yikes.

10 comments:

  1. That's a lot of posting. Congratulations.

    I hope to be able to post eventually, but life seems to keep preventing it. But I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy #1500 and here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1500 posts wow, I'm not on 800 yet. Congratulations on moving in to your new home. Hope you enjoy living there. In a way I'm jealous as I would like to move to Wales and a quieter way of life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not planning to feed birds when we move to the foothills outside Fort Collins in a few years because (1) there are bears there and (2) we'll be retired and can't spend foolishly on something as frivolous as birdseed. Let's see how long that resolution lasts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark-- I hope you resume posting. I have been wondering how you and Leah are doing. So glad to see you here!

    Dave-- Thank you!

    Bill-- We like the house very much. We were surprised last night by a little bit of a wildlife skirmish in the the yard. Two raccoons were chasing a skunk out there. The skunk was screaming and then finally did its best stinky defense. We had to move into the guest bedroom for the rest of the night. I hope you get to move to a quieter place in Wales, and there are no skunks!

    Scott-- We're not going to buy any birdseed. That's a promise I made to myself and to Roger. Hummingbirds are easy. Just a little sugar and water. I definitely would not even do that if there were bears here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, the racoons would definitely go after the bird seed. My, but the scent of an upset skunk does interrupt the night...

    Glad you got some outdoor time after all that settling in! Great photos, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1500?? Holy Moly that is a bunch. I have managed just a bit over a third of that. I'm impressed.
    I too am wondering about the lack of ducks. Does anyone local or perhaps a conservation group have an explanation?

    ReplyDelete
  8. kathy-- We're trying to keep our wildlife interaction to a minimum here. I'm going to do a post about it soon. Glad you liked the pics!

    Arkansas Patti-- Our first few years we were pretty prolific, but that has dropped off quite a bit. Now we're glad to try for two posts a week. I've thought about calling the people at the marsh to see if others have noticed this crazy lack of ducks. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on 1500. Amazing how long the skunk scent lingers.

    ReplyDelete