Sunday, November 08, 2015

Now We Dream of Green Flash


We headed out to the marsh at sunset the other evening, hoping to see reflections of golden light in the skypools on the water. We calculated that the tide would be around three feet and coming in, so we thought that the bay would be rolling with water. Well, we were wrong and surprised; the tide had not come in this far yet. The sun was still a bit above the horizon and blindingly bright. There really was no way we were going to see what we had come out to see, but we waited for the sun to go down below the horizon. We hadn’t been out at the marsh for a sunset view in many years. The best part of the sun going down early is getting out to watch it before dinner. It turns out that a lot of other people had the same idea. The parking lot was full. It was a surprise and really pretty wonderful to see how many people had come out to watch that golden sun disappear.
While we watched the sun sink out of view, we both said at the same time that we thought we'd seen a green flash. We probably didn’t, but that didn’t stop us from waiting and hoping one would happen. So, I zoomed in to where the sun had been to get a closer look. Was there anything green? Nope. The sky close up, though, looked pretty crazy vivid.
An even closer, zoomed in look is surreal. Now we plan to come back to watch for a green flash, and also hoping to spot sunset colors in the rippling skypools. Soon we'll be able to head out to the marsh at 4:30 and catch that setting sun. It's the best part of short winter days!

12 comments:

  1. Love your November sunset!

    Watched the sun rise this morning after seeing the crescent moon lined up with Venus, Mars, and Jupiter at 5 a.m. Took my breath away. I had just finished reading The Empathy Exams. The moon was lower in the sky than it is in this image:

    http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

    My parents saw the green flash in Gualala. Like you and roger, they persisted. I've never seen it. Some day I will (-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. am-- So glad you liked that sunset. It was nice to be out there to see it. I've been running out on clear mornings to watch the planets and the moon. It's been beautiful. I love knowing that your parents saw the green flash. There's hope for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember whether I ever mentioned that I saw the green flash back around 1987 when I was in Hawaii for work. It was completely unexpected, and so impressive that I have looked for it again every chance I get. Unfortunately, it seems that the best place to look is over water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark-- How lucky that you got to see the green flash. I can't imagine what it must be like to see one, but now Roger and I are both hoping for it to happen when we are looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya, I remember hearing about the green flash back in the '70's. We looked for it in various locations over the years, and may have seen it here at Discovery Park, as well as on Maui. But no photographic evidence...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've been lucky enough to see the flash from Carmel (one time) and Santa Cruz (one time) Both at sunset. It's too cool, so keep on looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. isabelita-- There is was something about this sunset that gave us a hint of what it might be like to see one. Pretty exciting!

    Tara-- You've seen two of them? Holy moly, I had no idea. Lucky lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of green flashes and when we go to the beach I always hope to see one. Hasn't happened yet. Great photographs of the sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not seen a green flash either, though when I've been in the Caribbean I've looked for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. NCmountainwoman-- It never occurred to me that we might see a green flash, so it was really a surprise when both Roger and I thought we'd seen one. I think it was wishful thinking! Hope you get to see one, and glad you liked the pics.

    Pablo-- Now I wonder if a green flash has ever been photographed during a sunset in the heartland. I'm going to have to google around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The third image looks like something out of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scott-- It really is interesting taking a closeup look at that light. Yes, very "close-encounterish!"

    ReplyDelete