Thursday, January 21, 2016

Before and After Sunrise

Click on the pic to see the planets and stars
I ran out early Wednesday morning hoping to see five planets. Four were definitely visible. I think Mercury hadn't risen yet, but I couldn't tell because of the cloud cover over the mountains in the east. The sky looked just the way it did Monday morning at 6:00 am when I saw four planets. Silly me, I tried to photograph it then, but it really was not possible for me to get all four planets into one photo. I did get three (Venus, Saturn, and Mars) plus two named stars (Antares and Spica). I was absolutely thrilled with that, and waved hello to Jupiter while I was out there.
Shortly after sunrise the sky lightened. The foreboding storm clouds were still over the mountains heading east, and those beautiful layers of dark and light grays met up with a clearing blue sky.


It was interesting to see the variation of cloud types and colors. The surprising part was a hint of iridescence wrapped in the hint of crepuscular rays.


Sometimes it's a good idea to take a crazy shot and zoom in, looking for surprises. No Mercury, but interesting details in a changing sky. I was happy.

11 comments:

  1. Nice sunrises but I'm not sure you have the right camera for taking photos of stars. Might need a longer exposure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill-- It's not the camera, it's the photographer! I'm sure there's a setting that would let me take better photos of the planets, but I have no idea what it is. Glad you liked the sunrise pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how long is your lens? I know you have something super duper that allows for wildlife close ups. Still, may not be practical for planet shots. I don't think it's the photographer! You are constrained by your lens.

      Delete
  3. Hey, I think you can do long exposures with your camera, right? What you need is a tripod (or tripod substitute).
    I love your sunrise clouds. Very beautiful indeed, and it really is a mix of cloud types. When I see that locally (not often, but it happens) I always tie myself into knots trying to figure out what's going on "up there" to craft so many different kinds of clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you getting to see the line up. We haven't seen the sky in over a week and I was disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. We've had clouds every single evening so no planet lineup for us. I always love looking at your sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CCorax-- I have tried a couple of times to teach myself how to use the camera. I have not been successful. Just now I was outside trying to capture some interesting crepuscular rays, but the sun kept washing out the dramatic lines of darkness and light. So, I gave up.

    Arkansas Patti-- I read that all five planets will be visible every clear morning until February 20th! That news was in the NY Times. Don't give up, there's plenty of time for the planetary show!

    NCmountainwoman-- Keep looking on the clear mornings until February 20th. You'll get to see it. The sky is an endless supply of stunning beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've noticed Venus once of twice, but it has been too cloudy lately. I saw a cloud that was drenched in iridescence one morning when I drove back to the hospital. I tried to get a shot of it, but the only shot had to include the sun, which made capturing the iridescence impossible. One thing the iPhone camera lets you do is tap the screen to indicate the area to focus and expose for, which can help in situations like that. Many actual cameras don't have that capability, or at least one that is so easily accessed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark-- When it's clear here, Venus is visible quite often. I open the blinds every morning hoping for a nice planetary view. Lately, though, it's been gray gray gray. The important thing about photographing iridescent clouds is to find a way to block the sun. I love knowing that you saw a cloud drenched in iridescence. They are such beautiful, ephemeral sights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always appreciate your photos.

    ReplyDelete