Monday, May 16, 2016

It's been pretty quiet here with all the persistent cloudiness and cool temperatures. So, we celebrate the little things that come our way, like this pair of Bullock's Orioles that migrated from Mexico to spend their summers here. They seem to like hanging around our neighbor's vacant yard. I took these photos through our dining room window, so not the best, but their colors do shine through.

The male stays in the trees across the yard and farthest from our window.
The female likes the weeds and berry vines in the overgrown and neglected yard. I hope we get to see their successful offspring before they head south for winter.
We did get out to the local nursery to buy a lot of flowers starts for the front yard. It's been work getting the old grassy sod up, but Roger has been ripping it out, one flower bed at a time. We just started on this new heart-shaped one. The freshly planted flowers are Lobelias in cobalt, red, and white. Really looking forward to seeing these bloom. We also bought a six-pack of Sweet Williams (Dianthus) and Forget-me-nots (Myosotis) to plant in the center in honor of my father.
While we were at the nursery we went over to their koi pond. You could tell the fish are very accustomed to company, they swam right over probably looking for some food. I liked the view of the fish and the reflection. I thought it was an interesting perspective, like an abstract reality. Amazing what you can see at a nursery.

And, I want to thank you all so much for your birthday wishes. Your kind words and thoughtfulness  made the day celebratory and special for me. I really loved it, and I thank you.

14 comments:

  1. Mr. Bullock is a dapper fellow! No wonder his missus fell for him! I love the heart-shaped garden and look forward to photos of it when all is in bloom. LOVE lobelia!
    I had a surprise: Several bunches of forget-me-nots turned up in the back yard of my Hawley property. I have no idea where they came from and don't recall seeing them in prior years. They are extremely invasive and like waterways, so next weekend the war starts. I've got to dig it out and keep watch for any other places it turns up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes wonder what the fish see when they're looking up out of the water. The light must be dazzling to their water-adapted eyes, even on cloudy days. Can they "see" humans approaching? How do they distinguish humans from cats (or do they)? Thinking like a fish this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CCorax-- We were so surprised to see Orioles here. We hadn't seen any before in the nearly two years that we've been here. They are so beautiful. I haven't planted forget-me-nots in a while. I wouldn't mind them being a little bit invasive in our yard.

    Pablo-- Good questions! What do they see? I have no idea. I think these koi were so used to humans coming by that they swam up so expectantly. I'm guessing that fish need to flee from everything... cats and humans alike. We're all predators in their world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that heart shaped bed and you can't go wrong with Dianthus. They are the Ironmen of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arkansas Patti-- So glad you like that heart-shaped bed. Me too! Imagine it filled with color. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photographs.

    A belated but heart-felt HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a neighbor who bought koi only to have the raccoons eat them. He tried trapping raccoons, but there were to many of them. He finally put fencing over his koi pond, but that looked bad, and it didn’t keep the raccoons out anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. NCmountainwoman-- Really glad you like the photos, and thank you so much for the birthday wishes.

    Snowbrush-- When we lived in Port Townsend, WA we had a koi pond. The herons and raccoons came to hunt there, but still a few survived every year and repopulated the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your raccoons were inept hunters, but then again maybe they just weren't greedy.

      Delete
  9. I love the orioles and the heart shaped flower bed, what a lovely idea. I just went to our garden store and they had huge koi there also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like the heart shaped flower bed and don't those goslings look cute & fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nora-- We are so happy to see such beautiful birds here this spring. We love that they spend their breeding season in our neighborhood. So glad you like the heart-shaped flower bed.

    Bill-- It was fun to make that flower bed. Now I want to hang heart, suns, and moons on the fence. We loved seeing those goslings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roger has been doing a lot of work, but it all seems to be worth it. Two of my neighbors had Koi ponds, and had a really hard time keeping the egrets and herons from eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pat-- Working in the garden is one of Roger's favorite things to do. I noticed that in our koi pond, some fishes managed to survive. I once considered that they may have been really tiny or even just eggs during the egret/heron/hunting season. And somehow that spared them until the next season when they were bigger and delicious!

    ReplyDelete