Monday, June 20, 2016

The Skies of June

The skies had been very uninteresting for a long spell here. I still run out to take a peek quite often and have been mostly bored by either the general overcast gray or an endless cloudless blue. But then something happened. The sky started to have blue skies, clouds, and even more. One day there was a faint circumhorizon arc.
I saturated this photo a bit to bring out the lower arc colors. It was more beautiful when Roger and I were walking to the market and back, but I didn't have the camera. We were grateful it persisted until we got home and I could get a little photo of it.

Then one day the sky did this. I don't know what all these shapes are, but some may be contrails.


Okay, I was really pleased by this display. Then, another day brought this.
I thought this looked like the cloud version of the Milky Way. Very nice.
There was even a hint of iridescence on Sunday morning. I haven't seen colors like this in quite a while.

Oh yay! The atmospheric optics still work in this crazy, crazy world. The sanity of beauty prevails.

18 comments:

  1. Awesome! So, when you're staring at the sky, do people start looking up wondering what you are looking at?

    June is one of my favorite months. We're having some good weather and long daylight hours. Getting to lots of things, travel, play, mew work and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are some beautiful skys. Look out for some view's of the Welsh Valley's from me soon as well as the skys

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely, robin. so glad you've gotten these interesting june gifts! are those beautiful roses in the first pic yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave-- Some people do, especially when I'm pointing the camera up there. I showed the neighbor kids a halo the other day. I love getting people to look up at the sky. Alaska always looks beautiful to me! I love your photos.

    Bill-- Thank you. Looking forward to your posts!

    Sharon-- Thank you.

    Sky-- Yes, those are roses. I'm learning how to take care of them. They have been quite prolific this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed we look for the sanity of natural beauty in these days. Lovely photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for bringing wonder and joy to my soul with these photographs. keep looking up (and I know that ain't easy)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your sky and your roses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have several astronomer friends, but you are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. NCmountainwoman-- Beauty is the only solace I know. Well that and a glass of wine.

    Tara-- The sky has been an unending source of wonder and beauty for me. I'm so glad that photographs can convey some of that.

    am-- Thank you!

    Steve-- Your comment takes my breath away. You honor me with such words, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Glad nature knows how to behave. It helps preserve our sanity. Sometimes I think you and I live on different planets. You have the most amazing skies. I'm lucky to see a puppy dog image in the clouds. I like your versions much better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arkansas Patti-- The sky here the past few days has been profoundly interesting. I could have taken a photo every five minutes, and the patterns would have been utterly changed. It was not the usual sky at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love complicated skies! You have some very fine complication going there.It's so easy to get lost in the view, trying to imagine what the winds are doing at each level to create the different cloud patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  13. CCorax-- I was so happy to have these few days of such beautiful skies. I'm planning on posting a Wordless Wednesday tomorrow with the stunning iridescence and corona that followed all of this. Just grand stuff, almost enough to balance the heartbreak of the world news.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow those are some great sky shots! I love to look at clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just amazing the circumhorizon arc, Robin Andrea!
    Great pictures of blue skies and clouds!

    Thanks! I am glad you liked the colors of flame vine around my house.

    ReplyDelete