Monday, August 08, 2016

How We Spent The Day

It's been a couple of days since we celebrated Roger's 74th birthday. We had such a good time going for a walk at the marsh and at the beach, and then to a great dinner prepared with love by Roger's daughter Elena. So much fun to spend a birthday celebration with the kids and grandkids 'cause you know there's going to be singing and candles and fun.

For me the day was spent seeing things I love, like Roger being feted, wonderful migrating shorebirds, and more crazy views of highway mirages. I hardly ever take photos of family, so there's none of that here, but the birds and mirages were grand.

We took a different path at the marsh to see if we could see if and where the tide comes into this part of the muddy flats. We came away thinking the tide didn't come in here, but we did see some nice views of the Great Egret and three Snowy Egrets.
We also saw many migrating Long-billed Dowitchers (the pretty buff-colored birds) and the Greater Yellowlegs. Really liked seeing them together in one photo.

Then, we left the marsh, came home, had lunch and headed back out for a walk at Samoa Beach.
The highway mirages were pretty grand this day. Roger and I loved seeing the refracted blue light of the car. Once you start noticing these things, you see that on warm sunny days, they are pretty reliably right where you expect them to be.

I'm hoping to get a photo of Roger refracted in a mirage and post that with him reflected in the wet sands of a retreating tide. It's important to have goals in life. Mine are small and hopefully achievable. And I am so grateful Roger is such a willing model.

Wonder what we'll do next year? By then, I'll be 65 and on Medicare and Roger will be 75. Two senior citizens having fun everyday, that's what I think!

Roger and I both thank you for all the wonderful heartfelt birthday messages. Your good cheer was part of the very good day.

17 comments:

  1. Wow you had a great day by the sound of things. Hope I'm as fit as Roger when I'm 74 as it is I'm knocking the door hard on 65. Keep enjoying Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your artistic goals, sounds like a form of Impressionism.
    ( Awake in wee hours here, chasing the mirage of sleep... )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vision of that photo of Roger reflected made me think of something William Blake wrote. Energy is eternal delight. Creative energy is eternal delight! I am grateful that you and roger are part of my life.
    (Have been awake since 2 a.m. and now it's 4:30)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds peaceful and looks like a great way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos and I love the idea of small goals. Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill-- We try to stay fit by walking 3-4 miles (5-6 km) a day. So far it's working!

    isabelita-- I really want to see how Roger would look refracted in a mirage. It should be interesting. (I really get the wee hours awake thing!)

    am-- Love the Blake quote. My brain needs stimulus and creativity everyday. I think that's one of the reasons we walk. (I know that time of awakeness quite well!)

    Sharon-- It was a wonderful birthday, from sun up to sun down. The best!

    Rain-- Glad you liked these photos. Small goals are really fun and attainable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see roger in a mirage. What a cool idea and goal.
    You have me looking these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all sounds marvelous. The way life is meant to be lived!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photographs and the lovely birthday walk. In the words of Lionel and Jean to Lionel's father, "Rock on!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arkansas Patti-- I'm looking forward to that as well.

    Tara-- We're giving it our best shot.

    jsk-- We are partying as you might expect hippie geezers to party!

    NCmountainwoman-- Glad you liked the photos. It was a lovely walk! Ah yes, "rock on." We'll try, we'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. no better day than seeing things you love! glad it was a fun birthday for roger. bet those grands are really growing.

    personally, I love retirement, but I am not so fond of time passing so quickly! remember when it seemed like school would never be out for summer break? now that we are all older it seems like we are racing from year to year at a dizzying pace, one birthday after the other!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy late Birthday Roger! Small, short goals are best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sky-- The grandkids are adorable. Delilah will be starting kindergarten in September and is an incredibly smart kid. Ian is 2 1/2 and wonderfully rambunctious and bright. Ah retirement, I think the thing that I am not so fond of is how little I have to use my brain. My job was a challenge in many ways, and I miss that stimulation. Getting old is interesting.

    Dave-- Thanks so much! Now we have to wait for the sun to come out and warm up that pavement. Goals!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been a long time since I commented--and we've all lived a lot a done a lot. I'm so glad that you're both well and happy! Wishing you the best, as ever. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wren-- It is so good to hear from you again. Hope all is well for you too. Thank you so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A Very Happy Birthday Roger!
    Sound you all had a lovely and happy day!

    ReplyDelete