Monday, August 22, 2016

Ohana

A blogging friend who lives in Hawaii told me this word "Ohana" when I posted on Facebook that my mother came to live with Roger and me last Friday. Ohana. According to Wikipedia, "Part of Hawaiian culture, ʻohana means family (in an extended sense of the term, including blood-related, adoptive or intentional). The concept emphasizes that families are bound together and members must cooperate and remember one another." So, here we are in our newly defined family. 
My mom, Roger, and twin brother having lunch on the deck
My twin brother flew from Virginia with my mom. It was a long 11 hour journey that meant three planes and a lot of chaos for a woman who will be 91 in September. But she is here now with us, and we plan to keep her healthy, happy, and whole for as long as we can. 
On Sunday, we took her to see the Pacific Ocean. She said it had been many, many years since she had seen it. We were lucky. We headed ten miles north to Trinidad Bay and the sun was shining on these blue blue waters. She loved the smell and sound of the sea. She said, "This will keep me healthy." Yes, I think she is right.
We drove back toward Arcata and stopped at an overlook to see if we could see the mouth of the Mad River and the sea lions that gather there. But the tide was high, and the river was not visible. The fog had come back in, and all we could see was a hint of the blue skies we had left in Trinidad, reflected on the edge of the sea there. 

Then, back to Arcata to stop at the market to a pick up a few things for dinner. My mom stayed in the car, already too tired to venture out to shop. When we got home, she went straight to bed for a nap. Yes, our new life begins. Ohana.

28 comments:

  1. Good luck and good health to all in your Ohana, may the sunshine be a good omen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your Ohana I hope all you keep well. 91 is a good age I hope she sees more

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what family is all about. I hope you will have the best of times, mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your post this morning brings me joy. Love the triple portrait. Your mother's smile especially. The ocean is the mother of us all. I love what she said, "This will keep me healthy."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohana is a good word and so true about family being more than blood. Good luck for all of you on your new venture. It's too bad that today families must be so spread out to get work

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never leave the coast that I don't notice how different my skin feels and looks - younger and moisturized and as soft and smooth as a baby's bottom! The sea air is like a magic potion. I bet your mom will thrive there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, YAY! This is such good news. As foggy as it may get there, it's not like the crushing heat and humidity of VA, so your mom will be able to go outside in the summer.
    It's a big change and one I am sure you are so happy to make. I wish your mom many more happy healthy years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May the three of you see many happy years. It's a thing of beauty. Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so very happy for you all. So glad your mom has a kinship with the ocean - just like you. Many good days ahead - may you all sustain one another.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's nothing like the coast and the water and everything that goes with it to keep a person happy. Enjoy your time together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post, Robin. I know your mother will have some wonderful days ahead and you will have so many more memories upon which to reflect. And I love the new word.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mom looks happy. May you all enjoy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you all lots of sunny days on the deck and some pretty drives to see the sea lions- and some really good naps, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing you all lots of sunny days on the deck and some pretty drives to see the sea lions- and some really good naps, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that word. It has such a gentle, loving sound. How nice your Mom is with you now. It will save you those long trips to visit and she will have access to that great sea smell and a loving family. I agree, the ocean just smells healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is lucky to be with you and you are lucky to have her. I wish many sunny days, sea lions and naps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello friends, Thank you so much for these wonderful comments. My mom just read them all. She loved them and thanks you. She thinks you all are kind and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post robin! It is so nice to have long lasting family relationships. I'm sure your mom will really enjoy the beauty around her new home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely post, Robin Andrea!
    So nice that your Mother came to live with you and Roger. Your Mom looks very happy and she has a lovely smile too!
    I have much joy reading your post today. Love the concept of the word "Ohana", that "emphasizes that families are bound together and members must cooperate and remember one another."
    Wishing you all lots of sunny and beautiful days together.
    Sending a special and warm hugs to your Mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good for you, Robin Andrea and Roger; you're saints. Kali's brother took care of their mother in his house for about three years, but the dementia finally got too much for him and he had to move mom to assisted living; he was a saint, too. The first image is a little weird; everyone's spaced out (not on drugs!) so evenly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Robin Andrea and Roger,
    Congratulations to you all and your country for top medal winners from Olympic Games 2016, in Rio de Janeiro. Just great to have the highest numbers of medals: 121! Gold, 46, Silver, 37 and Bronze 38! Parabéns!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It makes me happy to see your mother sitting out in the sun with you and Roger. I hope she's happy there -- I fully expect her to be.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pat-- My mom seems pretty happy here. So far, so good!

    Sonia- Thank your kind words. We loved the sense and meaning of Ohana. And, thank you for the Olympics update!

    Scott-- Time will tell how things will evolve, especially with my mom's aging. Well, about the spacing in the first photo, I had been sitting between my mom and Roger, but got up to click a pic! We were sitting in the direct sunlight, and Michael was in the shade.

    Mark-- Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your mom is popular! Her photo turns up in a post and you get 25 comments!

    ReplyDelete
  26. CCorax-- She loves the attention!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you, Robin Andrea!
    Always is a pleasure visit you. :)

    ReplyDelete