Tuesday, September 27, 2016

What I Did Instead of Watching The Debate

I decided just the other day that I would not watch the Presidential Candidates debate. I had to think about what to do while Roger and my mom watched it in the living room. So, I hid in the bedroom with my computer and did this:

I looked at all the photos I've taken in the past few weeks that didn't make it on to the blog, like this one.
Or this one, which I had posted on Facebook. Sheets drying in the morning sun with an iridescent cloud stretched across the sky.
I thought about how wonderful it is that the summer fog has finally left us. We've had such beautiful skies here the past few days. In fact, we've even had a California north coast heatwave, and the temps soared into the 70s for two days in a row. It was really sizzling HOT! for us.

I thought about the walks we've taken at the marsh recently. I had shot a little 30-second video of an American Avocet eating in the muddy flats of the bay. We hadn't seen such behavior before. It was pretty cool to watch.

I looked at the photos I took of Roger's finger injury. Did we tell you about that here? Oh yes, I just checked and see that we did. Well it's healing rather strangely. Even weirder than my finger did. I'm going to post a photo. I highly recommend that you scroll down quickly to avoid seeing his finger, if that kind of stuff makes you squeamish. I'll just wonder why his finger looks so creepy while the debate rages on.
Isn't that the weirdest way for a finger to "heal?" It made me seriously contemplate why it's healing like that. Roger says it doesn't hurt too much. It's still a bit sensitive to touch. Mmmm....Is it something in our diets or in our stars? (I'm kidding. I'm killing time here. Roger just came in to tell me that Trump keeps making faces.) But just typing that line about the stars reminded me of the quote:
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
Ah, the poetry of the old world. I'm not going to think about Julius Caesar at a time like this.

I thought about my mom's first visit with her new doctor last Friday and how well it went. We were so concerned that after the excellent care she had through UCLA medical, that she might find the medical care here (where the daily newspaper has articles so often about how there are 1300 patients per primary care physician here) not sufficient. But she truly liked the warmth and insight of her new PCP. And, we took her for an emergency dental appointment Monday morning, where she learned that she has an abscess. Ow ow ow. She came away from that appointment with upbeat enthusiasm, "I really like that dentist. He came in the room and talked to me like he was a friend." Isn't that a wonderful first visit!

I posted on Facebook that I was not going to watch the debate, and my dear friends there kept me posted with their wonderful funny observations and insights. I feel so lucky. I didn't have to subject myself to the horrors of our country's presidential debate, but I could still stay sanely and riotously informed.

And so, I did it. I managed to avoid the political shenanigans and media frenzy that is our country at the moment. I breathed a sigh of relief when it was finally over.

19 comments:

  1. Easy to avoid here being we are on a different time zone, I just went to bed & slept. Looks like you did the best thing though Rodgers finger looks like what I did once. Cut it down the middle. I dropped a sheet of steel on my finger and it went through the nail and split it in two. Don't remember much I was nigh on fainting while the first aider sorted me out then it was a trip to hospital for an Xray. I live to tell the tail and you need to look really close to see where it was no. Still it's had over forty years to heal. Stick with your plan you still have another couple of debates to go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill-- Well, when Roger is 114 years old that finger will be looking really good! Hah! Thank you for your story. I am glad that I didn't watch the debate. It sounded awful.

      Delete
  2. I would rather watch an avocet sifting through the mud for juicy morsels than be subjected to those other muck-rakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John-- Yes, that avocet is definitely much more interesting!

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't watch it either. I entertained myself with YouTube videos then went to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon-- Just reading about it online this morning makes me glad that we made the choice to not tune in.

      Delete
  4. I thought I was going to avoid watching it, I was filled with anxiety at the thought of seeing it, but I ended up watching it because, well, I couldn't help myself. I'm glad I did. I was reminded how important this election is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette-- I am glad there are brave and strong people out there who can handle the vitriol and insanity. I agree, this is an unbelievably important election.

      Delete
    2. It wasn't bravery. It was more like when you cover your eyes at a gory scene in a horror movie but still find your self peeking through the cracks between your fingers...

      Delete
  5. We watched it. I doubt it changed minds. If someone liked either one going in, they likely thought they won. Trump either had an allergy or cold but I only noticed it in the first set. He drank water a lot though. I suppose he hates to admit he could get sick ;).

    For me, I felt that the issues were of most interest. What will each of them do? What position do they have that will help the economy, make college more affordable (hey my grandkids are coming up with the first one going next year), keep our trade deals working for us, and keep good jobs here. If someone was listening for policy positions, they weren't listening for gotchas. I thought I'd have more anxiety but then I got into the policy ideas and that helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain-- Interestingly, I didn't expect that there would be policy ideas discussed. I just expected a torrent of insanity, that's why I couldn't watch. I'm glad you could handle it!

      Delete
  6. At blog size, Roger's finger looks like a cloven hoof, but when I embiggened it, I realized that bit in the background is a different finger. I guess that lump is the finger escaping: "Free at last! No longer repressed by that fingernail!"
    I didn't watch or listen to the debate and I don't want to read about it either. One lies, the other misspeaks. With either candidate, it's going to be four more years of dysfunction.
    What do avocets eat? That side swipe is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCorax-- That bit of skin is really weird. Not sure what it's about, and no doc appointment until mid-October. It's probably just some wacky cells gone haywire, but oy.

      I already know who I am voting for, what is the point of subjecting myself to such depressing theater?

      Avocets eat bugs, mollusks, seeds, algae. Quite a varied diet!

      Delete
  7. Yikes on roger's finger. It almost looks like it needs lanced.
    I didn't watch either--I so wish we could just vote tomorrow and it would all be over. I'm ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti-- I think it definitely needs medical attention. Hope he can hold out until his appointment, or I may go at it with a sharp instrument. Hah!I would like to vote asap. This whole thing is driving me nuts. Another six weeks of it, and we know there will be a bummer of an "October surprise." Sigh.

      Delete
  8. I hope that the Roger's finger will be ok soon!
    I am glad your Mom is well and liked the dentist. It is great to have a good and nice dentist for sure!

    Love your photos of the sky and love too the video seeing the avocet sifting through the mud! So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sonia- Thank you for your good wishes. We're keeping our eyes on Roger's finger. So glad you liked the sky and video, too.

      Delete
  9. It was dark here in EDT when the debate came on. I read a book and did not go near a TV. The finger does look bad. It might not help, but soaking in Epsom salts and warm water certainly won't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NCmountainwoman-- Wise choice to not watch that crazy theater masquerading as a debate. Oy. I think Roger may do a bit of soaking. He does have a doc appointment, but not until mid-October. Maybe he should try to get in sooner.

      Delete