Friday, October 14, 2016

Time Slips Away

Sometimes called "flying saucer clouds"

So, it's been almost eight weeks since my mom first arrived here on the north coast. We have been settling into a routine. It's not always easy, but we all work at it and have good intentions and high hopes. What I have noticed, though, is that time slips away. I want to post something here on the blog, but by the time I have free time I can't remember what I wanted to write. I'm sure it was great and everything, but what it was about I cannot tell you.

We are having our first storm of the rainy season here. Rainy season begins on October 1st. It has been crazy windy all day. I have no photographs to show you, but I did see a crow fluttering and flying in the high winds. It circled and flew; it circled and flapped and flew. I was glad to see it and be reminded of other lives in the face of adversity. I heard a Hermit Thrush the other day. Its song is so beautiful, it pulls your heart and makes you glad to be alive and in this bird's winter range.
An example of birefrigence

We have a crazy man running for President here. It's true, in case you haven't turned the news on or read any newspapers or checked the internet. It is mind blowing to have such a person be so close to the White House. I almost can't believe it. How can such a thing be true? What does it say about our country's citizens? I would write about it, but time slips away and my mind wanders.

Next week there are doctor and dentist appointments everyday. We may be having our house roofed, but we're not sure. The roofer called more than a week ago to confirm the start date, but hasn't contacted us since about the particular shingles we requested. We should probably contact him, but time slips away.

Night arrives earlier and earlier these days. Soon we will play with time and turn the clocks back an hour. Such a funny trick we humans play with the sun. We are such silly creatures. I have so many things I want to write about like lenticular cloud formations, birefrigence, and swallowtails on teasel but time it does slip away.

16 comments:

  1. Getting to that time of year withus as well, winter is on it's way. Afraid that crazy man is digging his hole deeper and deeper, soon he will fall in and not get out. Go the roof problem as well as I need a chimny replaceing and some flashing sorted as the roof leaks around it, just waiting for a start date

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill-- I'm glad to know that you also see the crazy man for what he is. Yikes. What a time. Well we got two inches of rain and no leaks, so hopefully we'll make it through this next BIG storm without the new roof or any problems.

      Delete
  2. That happens to me all the time, thinking up a great blog post and then not being able to remember a thing when I actually sit down to write. I think I'm going to have to start using the notes app on my smart phone for ideas. I hope you find the time to write about the things in your last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette-- Most of my inability to remember at the moment is from stress and distraction. I used to have such a calm and quiet life. Not anymore. I think Iwill have to start writing things down to help me remember too.

      Delete
  3. Very nice, pensive post, Robin Andrea. And the birefringence image is spectacular. I hope your inability to remember what you'd like to post isn't an indication of a wonderful mind getting sketchy, but only a sign that you're really preoccupied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott-- So glad you liked that birefringence image. I just happened to notice it when I left the old plastic brita pitcher that I use to water our house plants on the counter. There was no sunlight coming in the north window, and yet here was such color. Les Cowley enlightened me once again! Oh yes, I am definitely preoccupied, and my mind is showing the cost of distractions.

      Delete
  4. crazy man running for President
    You just had to go there, I have no time for hateful democrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birdchaser-- I can't tell if you are being serious. If yes, and you read our blog, you must know we are utter leftist democratic earth-loving feminist old hippies. Why read us otherwise?

      Delete
  5. Time sure does slip away with no regard to us. We just have to catch and hold on to what we can.
    So glad you and your Mom are settling in. It must be a comfort to have her so close.
    Hope you are dodging the bad storms heading your way. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti-- Time really does slip away. My mom has been sadly complaining about her memory loss, and the cost of being 91 years old. We are learning that the aging body may not be a thing to yearn for. We got two inches of rain last night and another four to six on the way over the weekend. A little bit scary. Thank you for your good thoughts.

      Delete
  6. Lovely post, Robin. They say Autumn is a time for reflection and you did that well. Plus I always learn a little something from you.

    Michele Obama's speech yesterday should be required viewing for anyone still thinking about voting for DJT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NCmountainwoman-- I like thinking about autumn being a time for reflection. That may be why it's my favorite season. Listened to Michelle Obama's speech this morning. Truly stunning. I am grateful for her presence.

      Delete
  7. From the looks of the weather maps, you guys are getting hit by this "bombogenesis" of a weather system, like we are. (There's a term to look up!)
    I am so glad that you and Roger are "utter leftist democratic earth-loving feminist old hippies". We need to stand witness against the destruction swirling about.
    And I agree whole heartedly about Michelle Obama's speech. The passionate quality of her voice was a display of utter genuineness. This is not just trivial political disagreement around the dinner table we are mired in right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isabelita-- I'm definitely going to look up "bombogenesis." I think they must have just made that word up. LOL! These are such crazy times. Interestingly, I've noticed the word "nuclear bombs" in the headlines lately. Talke about this not being a trivial disagreement around the dinner table. The future belongs in capable hands and thoughtful minds, or seriously we are in very very big trouble.

      Delete
  8. I can so identify with this, especially since I'm sitting here reading it at 10:15 pm, which is the only time I've had all week to sit and read blogs. Time didn't just slip away for me this week - it snowballed downhill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon-- I hope the snowball was at least a fun ride, like a tobaggon in winter on a day school is closed for weather!

      Delete