Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Wednesday's Skypools

The sun finally came out on Tuesday. So we took a nice long walk at the marsh. There were beautiful skypools there. Some were so interesting I actually made a very short 15-second video, so you can see how it changes.


Here's a still photo of the same scene.
After watching the video, I realized I probably should have videoed this other part of the bay, pictured below.
 The colors and shifting reflections were grand here. I'm not sure why the surface of water doesn't always have such interesting patterns like this, but I'm always glad when they do.

In case you don't click on the link in the first part of this post, this is what Atmospheric Optics says about skypools:
... for skypools are strangely complex. They show sky and land colours but not sky or landscape pictures. They are instead ovals of alternating colour. Some ovals are mostly landscape hues, others are of the sky.
It was a wonderful way to celebrate the reappearance of the sun.

14 comments:

  1. We had the sun reappear today it brought with it a frost that caused me to have to de ice the windscreen this morning, still better that the fog and rain we had yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill-- I know you are as glad to see the sun as we are. Fog and rain can get boring pretty fast.

      Delete
  2. The water in that video is mesmerizing. I could stare at it for quite some time. Glad you were able to get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon-- Watching that pattern form over and over was mesmerizing. A perfect description!

      Delete
  3. the video reminds me of watching old film reels where you can see the individual frames floating before your eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara-- Isn't it interesting to watch that scene floating before our eyes.

      Delete
  4. Think I need to watch that video when the newscasts get me down. Ahhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti-- Exactly. I also recommend watching Louis CK on Conan O'Brien's show. It's funny and calming. I can't wait for this election to be OVER.

      Delete
  5. Amazing! Once again you have taken me away for a brief respite from our awful warm weather, lack of gasoline, and politics. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NCmountainwoman-- I'm so glad that the video and pics were able to offer you respite. We're all in this one together.

      Delete
  6. It was really pleasant to watch. Thanks Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat-- It was fun to watch it form, like a visual meditation.

    ReplyDelete