Saturday, December 31, 2016

Goodbye December and 2016

I'm sorry TS Eliot, you were wrong. December is the cruelest month. I have not wanted a month to end quite as much as I want this December to finally be over. It has been one of the worst, most-grueling, painful, and stressing months of my life. Even Roger hated it, and he hardly hates anything, mellow guy that he is. But oh December we both say GOODBYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE.

Why did we hate December? Well, to start with my mother moved south to the land of sunshine. We miss her so much, but most especially at dinner. She always had something so funny to say. But then she left, and left such a sad empty space at the head of our table.

Then there was pain. Oh the pain from a pinched nerve in my lower back that goes all the way down the FRONT of my leg causing my shin bone and thigh bone to ache so crazily that it wakes me in the middle of the night. Pain that makes it difficult to stand for any length of time without having to bend over, trying to straighten something out that doesn't want to be straightened. Numbness that makes my left foot feel like I have pins and needles all the time. Pain.

Before the "remodel"
Then there was the remodel of our deck, demanded and executed by the all powerful power company that has an easement in our yard. What a surprise that was.  There will be further alterations with tree removals and our attempts at making our yard more private again.
After the "remodel"
And then there were the ants. Thousands of ants. Argentine ants. So invasive, so relentless, so outrageous. They came in through the electrical outlet in the bathroom. They came in where the door jambs meet the floor. The came in the space where the fireplace and floor meet. They marched like an army wherever they could and set up base camps looking for anything to eat. They ate the soap on the soap dish. They flocked to any single minuscule crumb we missed during our frenzied sweeping and mopping routines multiple times daily. We blocked their entrance in one place, and they immediately found another. ANTS. We finally had to call an exterminator. Something we are truly loath to do.

So, December, we bid you good bye. Go, and take this whole crazy year with you. And by all means, let the door slam you hard on the way out.

LOL! Happy New Year, friends!

25 comments:

  1. Yikes, you have been visited with worse than old testament plagues. Enough already. May the new year be much better for you than this one. Sending you good energy from soggy Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isabelita-- I realized that I forgot to mention the electoral college vote on the 19th. That really was the biggest BUMMER of all. Thank you for the good energy. Hey, I checked weather forecasts for next week. It's going to get very very cold there. Stay warm, my friend.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my. That really is a lot for one month. I do hope they find a solution to your pinched nerve, because that isn't going away with the new month without a little outside help.
    WTHeck about the easement??? That should have been a disclosure when you bought the house. Is it for a buried line?
    Here's to a much more joyful January, frolicsome February, and merry March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCorax-- Luckily, my pain is not constant. It comes and goes, when it is here it is unbearable, but then it's gone. I live for those moments! Oh there was a disclosure about an easement, and we so trustingly thought it was about the powerline behind the house. Nope. It's a buried gas line in the yard. BUMMER. Still, and I mean this sincerely, I would take all of this, if Trump was not going to be president. Sigh.

      Delete
  3. I hope January is kinder to you on all fronts. I am anxious for December to end as it seems I hear so much from so many people who had tough 2016. I always hope a new year will be great and especially hope it after '16 and all the problems and unhappiness it held for so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain-- Thank you. We are looking forward to a kinder and gentler beginning. Although, the weather does not look particularly cooperative. Forecasts predict lows in the 20s. Looking forward to spring already!

      Delete
  4. That really does sound like a wretched month. Best wishes for January and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette-- It really was not my favorite month at all. Thank you for your good wishes.

      Delete
  5. Oh my... I can so relate to this post that it's almost spooky. Personally, I have to say that the past two months for me have been the worst of the year. It all started with that election.

    While you miss your mother, I'm so glad for you that you have a happy relationship with her.

    I have suffered with pinched nerves. I know your pain. I really hope you heal quickly.

    I can't even get started on easements - the power company destroyed our neighborhood this past summer.

    Pests - Throughout the years, I've had them all - including rats. Life living in a wooded area. Well, now a little less wooded thanks to the power company...

    So yes, goodbye 2016. I don't know too many people who are sad to see it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon-- It's so true for me as well that the downward spiral started with the election. In fact I think that was partly responsible for my mom's stress. Really sorry to hear about the easements there and the pests. One night Roger and I had a conversation. We said: Which would you prefer ants or rodents? ants or scorpions? ants or Trump? In all cases we took ants! It made us laugh. Take care, my friend.

      Delete
    2. It made me laugh too. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  6. Here's some ant entertainment:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA_6HpfWg5U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCorax-- Thank you so much for this. We love Richard Shindell.

      Delete
  7. Put that way, ants aren't all that bad:))
    So sorry about that pinched nerve. I sure hope you can find some relief for that. Have you tried marijuana oil? I heard it helps a bunch with pain.
    Well lets hope Dec was your quota of baddies for the coming year and 2017 will be grand--baring anything unfixable stirred up by our head twitter master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti-- Luckily for me, the pinched nerve isn't a constant pain. It comes and goes, and I do appreciate pain-free time. I haven't tried marijuana oil, but it sounds interesting. We had a good laugh about "our head twitter master." Thank you for that.

      Delete
  8. well, shit. awful awful awful. Ta-ta you wretched month! January: you better be good to my friends, here, or I'm a'gonna get ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara-- You tell 'em. Shake your fist and shout, "Leave them bums alone!"

      Delete
  9. My local bookshop sent out this image as it looked back at an awful year of political stupidity, terrorist attacks at public gatherings, musicians and actors who died...and authors who died. Most of the author deaths I hadn't heard about and I do read a daily paper. It's a stunningly long list.
    But here's an article about the image I referenced in the first sentence:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/12/29/celebrity-deaths-2016-captured-one-heartbreaking-photo/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCorax-- That image is quite haunting. What a year, and here we are in 2017 awaiting the expected debacle. Sigh.

      Delete
  10. 2017 will be better.

    For you, not the ants.

    I wish you more moms and fewer ants in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nasreen-- Thank you so much for this comment. You made us laugh out loud. That's the best way to start the year.

      Delete
  11. Ants! Grrr! We never had an ant problem at our previous house, but we had them all over in the new house. I say "had" because we are not seeing them now, but I don't know whether that's because of the poison or the cold weather.

    Pinches nerves are a pain. It's not fair that your body is lying to you that something is hurting when it's just a bad connection. That sometimes makes it harder to make it stop. My nerve problem seems to result in an itchy back; no pain so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark-- After the exterminator came, the ant problem has been greatly diminished. We have 30 days to decide if we want to do it again and sign up for a regular treatment. Don't think we'll do that, but will attempt other interventions (like boric acid and suger). My pinched nerve has calmed down to my great relief in every way. My left foot is still tingly, but I'm hoping that will be the extent of it for now. I may do physical therapy if the PT place ever calls me to schedule the appointment.

      Delete
  12. Sympathy on the back< I get it as well somtimes,My problem at the moment is high blood pressure which I've started taking pills for to bring down. We don't get many problems with ants here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill-- Pinched nerves are no fun at all. Roger has high blood pressure and has been on meds for quite a while. They definitely work. Lucky you for not having ants. So far the treatment has been 99% successful.

      Delete