Friday, January 06, 2017

A Small Goal

I saw the half moon rise in the sunlit sky. I saw the two crazy tall roses still blooming in the front yard. I tried to remember to photograph the moon if it showed up between the roses. We went for a walk with Elena and Ian. Ian loved the moon. He called it Luna, his cousin's name. He was perplexed that he could see the moon in daylight. It is a rather perplexing thing, isn't it? Elena and Ian went home, and Roger went out to the backyard to build another section of lattice to go over the fence for a bit more privacy from our neighbors on the west side of our house. Then I remembered-- the moon and roses. Ran out front for a photo.

But to be perfectly honest, I had to photoshop this image. No matter how many times I tried to get the moon and flowers in focus together, I couldn't do it. Flowers close, moon far away. Hello? Are you crazy?
Well, yes, I am. So I focused on the moon. And then I focused on the flowers.
And then, I combined the photos with the trickery of the computers.

It was beautiful nonetheless.




14 comments:

  1. Yes, beautiful nonetheless.
    The trick, as you know, if the local environment allows it, is to get far away from the roses and take the photo from the distance. It's easier with stationary objects, because a small aperture and slow shutter speed will allow you to bring both foreground and background subjects into focus. But roses dance in the sun and breeze.
    What you did was beautiful and you made up for what the camera couldn't do, which is "see" both roses and moon in focus. It's art in a digital medium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCorax-- Aperture? Shutter speed? I know my camera has those things, but how to work them I have no idea. I do like the idea of working with them, and am now utterly curious how such a thing can help bring the moon and roses in focus together. Thank you for that!

      Delete
  2. Nice job with Photoshop. The photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette-- Thank you! So glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty combination. After two nights of severe frost our last roses will have given up until spring. You are lucky to have them still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabine-- We are so surprised that they are still standing. It's been crazy cold with two nights of hard freezes, but there they are! Hope you are feeling well, friend. Been thinking of you.

      Delete
  4. Well aren't you clever. Such a lovely shot. So many of my shots get deleted since I don't have the skills to make them do what I want. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti-- Hah! Yes, I'm clever indeed. Thank you for that. I'd love to learn how to photograph this scene in one shot, but my brain just doesn't feel up to the task anymore.

      Delete
  5. Your Photoshoppery fooled my eyes, and for that I am grateful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JS-- I wish I could photograph scenes like real photographers, but I'm just a goofball with a camera and Photoshop foolery skills! LOL!

      Delete
  6. Love your portrait of the moon and roses! You are an artist.

    It's been cold here for so long that Lake Whatcom is beginning to freeze. I don't remember that happening since sometime in the early 1980s. While out walking in the below freezing but sunny weather, I saw a lovely pair of Red-breasted sapsuckers moving here and there in a line of pine trees not far from the lake. That's a first for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am-- Thank you so much. Just thinking of you, a true artist, calling me an artist made my day! Some crazy weather all around lately. How nice to see those sapsuckers. I saw a ruby-crowned kinglet just the other day. First time since Port Townsend. The world supplies us with beauty!

      Delete
  7. So, you put the moon right through the goalposts, right? Ha!

    ReplyDelete