Monday, February 27, 2017

A Little Diversion

Things continue to unfold with regular ups and downs the way life often does. Good days and bad for my mom. Sometimes there are phone calls that leave us laughing and joyous, when she sounds more like herself and actually seems present. Then there are the calls from my sister that are urgent, stressful, and painful. Sometimes they happen in the same day. This is life at the moment. So, we do what we always do, we look for diversion on our beautiful planet.

It doesn't take much, maybe playing with a photo of a cloud, tweaking the saturation to see what it can become.
Ah yes. That's what it looked like out there. Magical like a wild white flame.

Or running to the west facing windows just past sunrise to see this.
These look like anti-crepuscular rays to me. If that's what they are, I will be doing cartwheels (or I would if the pinched nerve in my back would let me). If I had a bucket list, seeing anti-crepuscular rays would be on it. So, I was delighted with this view right out our window.

This is what it looked like out front, facing east, just a few minutes later.
Now those are definitely crepuscular rays. Always beautiful, always one of my favorite views for diversion.

It had been quite a while since we saw the sunrise here. We've had more than a foot of rain since February 1st. That's almost twice the normal average rainfall. It's been gray for so long I didn't know precisely where the sun would rise, it had continued north in the days since the last visible rise.
Ah, so there it is, as our planet tilts toward equinox, there it is. Good morning, sun! Thank you for the diversion.

25 comments:

  1. Good morning, R&R! It's as though the sky is saying, "Sorry for all that rain. I hope this can compensate somewhat for what you've been through." I especially love the first photo. It's like the cleansing flame conjured by a good witch in a fantasy novel, burning away evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCorax-- I love that perspective, the sky apologizing. We accept it completely! Really glad you like the photos.

      Delete
  2. Love the image of tilting toward equinox. More and more signs of spring here, paired with snow falling in the hills. Picturing your mother, safe, loved from near and far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am-- I realize I probably should have titled this post "Tilting Toward Equinox"-- Nice to have more light, of course we're going to screw around with time in a little while and go straight into Daylight Savings Time. Humans are such silly creatures. I like how you are picturing my mom. We're heading down in March to see her. She loves the love!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for a much needed diversion. I have loved your growing passion for clouds over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, you know that although I don't always comment, you are always in my heart.

      Delete
    2. Jeanne-- Glad to share my obsession and diversions with you. I was worried a while back that I was so depressed not even a stunning sky could shake me loose, but I'm learning. I can still see beauty. Thank you for keeping us in your heart. It's a mutual thing, my friend.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you have the acute awareness of nature that lets you receive respite in these troubling times.
    It has to help that the ups and downs with your Mom can be put aside for just a moment at least and what better way than in the beauty around us.
    Loved the wild flame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti-- Respite in these troubling times, that's what I'm looking for. Every now and then the sky provides it, but just a little while ago we saw our first Rufous Hummingbird of the season at our feeder. Ah, pure joy! So glad you liked that wild flame.

      Delete
  5. A little diversion goes a long way. I'm glad it finally stopped raining. It seems like it was definitely worth the wait though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon-- Yes, a little diversion does go a long way. It's helping us get through this most miserable of winters.

      Delete
  6. Let's agree to take cartwheels off your bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil-- Good idea! When I was young I did them all the time. Now just the thought of it makes my back hurt.

      Delete
  7. Such wonderful images! Thank you for displaying them. Ya, cartwheels are definitely risky, guess we need a slow motion yoga move instead.
    Spring is coming, I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isabelita-- So glad you like these photos. I love a beautiful sky that keeps me running outdoors and looking up. I'm so ready for spring.

      Delete
  8. Lovely sky images! Thanks for sharing about crepuscular rays. Very interesting.
    I understand what you are going through with your Mom. It is hard but try to concentrate on the good days. I tried to remember that as my Dad's illness progressed.
    Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat Lover-- I'm so glad you like the photos and the info about crepuscular rays. One of my favorite websites is Atmospheric Optics. It is a site in England hosted by Les Cowley. Truly the best, most interesting and informative site about our beautiful skies. I'm trying to concentrate on the good days with my mom. We're heading down in a week to spend a few days with her.

      Delete
  9. As long as that sun keeps rising each morning I believe there's hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette-- Yes! I try to keep that as my philosophy as well. It doesn't always work, but when it does... it's a relief.

      Delete
  10. Love reading about your sky's, most of our are just grey cloud ATM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill-- When the sun comes out, anything can happen! I hope your skies get bright and blue again.

      Delete
  11. I learned more about the sky from you, than the entire rest of my life. Thanks for that! Also, thanks for great photos...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat-- Thank you for that! One day I looked up at the sky and saw iridescent clouds and that was it! It sent me on an adventure that has not stopped. Glad you like the photos.

      Delete
  12. I hope that your Mom have many good days, with joyous phone calls!

    So beautiful photos, Robin Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia-- We are heading home after a week with my mom. Good days and bad. Happy days and sad. The beauty of the earth is the only thing that balances all else that comes our way.

      Delete