Monday, March 27, 2017

Stegosaurus Pi

I posted a photo on Facebook and here on the blog a while back when we were heading south to see my mom. The photos were of the stunningly green California mountains and valleys after the rainy rainy winter we've had. One of those photos had an interesting cloud formation in it. When I posted it on Facebook, I actually called it my "pi in the sky." It was this photo.
The interesting thing is that I did not see the cloud formation when we were zooming by at 75 mph. That doesn't mean that it wasn't there, but I'm pretty observant when it comes to clouds, especially if they are crazily pi shaped like this.

So, I began to wonder, where did this formation come from. I kept my eyes on the lookout for clues, and then I saw this reflection out the window when were at a stoplight.
This image is even better than the original pi in the sky. It has its little head and tail too. But where does this little shy stegosaurus come from that it shows up reflected in our skies? Right here on the dashboard of our car.
We have a little menagerie of plastic critters that live there on the dashboard. We take them with us on all  of travels. The one on the far left, the green/blue lizard we've had for more than a decade. It has been in all of our cars since the day I found it in a parking lot. We can't even remember the history of all them, but they are part of our journeys. And interestingly, the stegosaurus has cast its vast plastic reflection on to the skies all over California, sort of. LOL! We love our Stegosaurus Pi!

27 comments:

  1. Thank you!! I thought I was losing my mind. It didn't look real at all, but I knew you wouldn't try to trick us by Photoshopping it in (though that does give one ideas for one's own photos).
    I love "Stegosaurus Pi." It sounds like the name of a child's picture book about advanced mathematics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCorax-- When I downloaded the photos, I thought, "no way." I did love that it looked like pi though. So, I went with it! When I was young one of my favorite kid's book was "The Shy Stegosaurus."

      Delete
  2. What fun. I'm afraid all we have on the dashboard is dust. I think I might replace it with farm animals. I have quite the collection because of the grandkids. I admire your whimsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette-- I love the idea of farm animals on the dashboard. I hope you do it!

      Delete
  3. That's so funny. I love that you guys keep those in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon-- It's become a tradition now. I think one of the grandkids brought us the octopus!

      Delete
  4. Mystery solved! Funny, I don't recall those critters in your car....I must be blind! I have my little purple rubber Buddha...and he doesn't cast a reflection at all (not yet, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara-- Ah, when I think about it you have to be a passenger in the car to see it like this. Sit in the passenger seat some time and take a look at the reflections out the window. I'd love to see Buddha in the sky there!

      Delete
  5. Mystery solved by investigation! But it's just as good a story, this way; maybe better. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kathy a-- We love a good mystery and a good story! Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  6. Way to track down the mysterious sky formation robin. I probably would have just accepted. So obvious once you pointed it out. Hum, now I guess I need to do something with my boring dashboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti-- I love a good mystery. This one was fun to solve. Wouldn't it be nice to start a trend of wild plastic critters on dashboards everywhere?!

      Delete
  7. Robin, this is hilairious! We have a dinosaur that rides along in our car too. We got him at a local manufacturing facility that makes life size dinosaurs for museums. They were having an open house and we picked him up. He just never left the car.
    Have a good week.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat Lover-- I absolutely love that you have a dinosaur in your car too. That is just so funny. We Robins do love our dinosaurs, don't we!

      Delete
    2. There must be something about them that appeals to us!

      Delete
  8. too funny! :D thanks for the Monday chuckle. love your little animal farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sky-- Glad you had a good chuckle about it; we did too!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful how this story unfolded!

    Stegosaurus Pi. Something new under the sun.

    You inspired me to buy a Tyrannosaurus Rex for my car. There was one in a jar at the counter when I went to the art supply store here yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am-- I love that you have a Tyrannosaurus Rex in your car now. It's a new trend.

      Delete
  10. How clever of you to figure out what the cloud formation really was. I love those little things. My latest was a gift from my daughter who ordered it from the UK. It's a tiny LEGO of Mary Berry of the British Baking Show. My new talisman. I almost always have some little thing with me all the time. Often it's no more than a polished stone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NCmountainwoman-- It was fun to try and figure it out. I love a good mystery. I'm trying to imagine what a LEGO of Mary Berry would look like. I'll have to google around to see your new talisman.

      Delete
  11. That is so cool you saw that refletion in the widow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill- I was really happy to see it and solve the mystery of pi!

      Delete
  12. Delightful! It sure is Pi...
    Love your little traveling companions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat-- So glad you like our little cold-blooded menagerie. Thank you!

      Delete