Monday, April 17, 2017

A Break In The Rain For Some Clouds

We have had a lot of rain this winter. Oh wait...it's spring, isn't it? Seriously, is it spring? We're still having so much rain, already past the monthly average to date. On Sunday morning I woke up and literally wished out loud for the drought to come back. Living with extremes is extremely exhausting. So, the somewhat bright side of such bleakness is the break in the clouds and all the beauty that comes with it.

On Wednesday it poured a good inch. The wind blew like crazy. It was cave-dark all day, but just before sunset this happened.



Less than fifteen minutes elapsed between the first photo and last, but it was fifteen minutes of the most beautiful light and clouds. I think there is even a mammatus cloud formation here. This was a wonderful way to end a very dark day.

On Thursday a brief respite brought us this heart.
On Friday we went out to the marsh for a nice long walk. We saw this cloud formation and weren't sure we'd get back before it poured on us. But we took our chance.

It was quite a sight, that ominous cloud. But we lucked out and didn't get rained on at all. The cloud headed off in a southeast direction and we could see from miles away the rain as it touched ground.

On Sunday, just before the rains began again, the sky at sunrise looked like this.
And then it did something interesting that I had never seen before. Not sure what kind of formation this it, but it preceded some light rain showers.

So, that's how things have been here. Our first rose of the season has bloomed. We have anemones, ranunculus and columbines flowering. The gaillardia are full of buds almost ready to blossom. I guess it really must be spring!

25 comments:

  1. When we lived in Ireland we would often joke that summer was on a Tuesday or maybe a Thursday in between the rainy forever.
    But the sky is so gorgeous where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabine-- I love that joke. I will remember that. The sky is pretty gorgeous here, when we can see it.

      Delete
  2. I so enjoy your cloud pictures. I now look at clouds more closely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette-- Thank you for that. Really glad to know you are looking at the clouds too.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, what wonderful cloud formations. The last photo is very interesting.
    We haven't had too much rain but it is taking awhile to warm up. No roses blooming here yet!
    Have a good week.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat Lover-- I run outside whenever I notice the light changing and a chance to see some new cloud formation. We've warmed up a bit here, but the rainy weather persists.

      Delete
  4. You really do catch the best clouds! The last set remind me of chocolate kisses, on account of the pointy tops. How odd and lovely.

    Oh, man. It has rained so very much, and is threatening to do so again. It's gone way above normal for here, and overall that is a good thing considering all the long dry years. We're having a total explosion of green in the yard and on the hills. So, I guess we can live with it for now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kathy a-- Yes! Thank you for that. They remind me of chocolate kisses too. Cloudy kisses! Crazy long rainy season we've had. Really looking forward to a time of a little drying out and sunshine. We're all ready!

      Delete
  5. Goodness the clouds really put on a great show for you and how neat you captured it. You have me looking up also--mostly when I get in my hammock time which gives me a natural view. Thanks to you, I am now recognizing some that I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti-- I'm so glad that you watch the clouds from your hammock. That sounds like the best way to do. I may have to give that a try and spare my neck such twisting.

      Delete
  6. Perhaps your final photo is the little-known Denver Airport Formation?
    Luminous, lovely images, such a treat to see your skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Infrafrenata-- Interesting, I haven't heard of the Denver Airport Formation. I'll have to check that out. Really glad you liked the images. The sky between storms is so interesting.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Oh, phooey. I wanted to send you a photo of the denver airport, which apparently is in a pointy formation, but cannot figure out how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kathy-- Thank you so much for trying and for messaging it to me. And yes, it does look like the Denver Airport. How funny!

      Delete
  8. Those sure are some pretty skies and clouds. It is finally Spring here in NJ. The flowering trees and bushes are just starting to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon-- The best time of sky here is in between the storms. Spring is such a season of beautiful promise.

      Delete
  9. I'd call those pointy clouds a "meringue formation": http://allrecipes.com/recipe/19796/good-meringue/
    This is such a lovely collection of clouds, and all of them showing in just a few days! All of this reminds us that without joy, no sorrow; without sorrow, no joy.
    I do wish you a more balanced ratio of sun to rain, though, with a healthy smattering of clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCorax-- I love the idea of "meringue formation." I may have to send that suggestion to the Cloud Appreciation Society. Interestingly, it is a mammatus formation. I would link to a pic of it, but the Cloud site is down for server maintenance at the moment. Mammatus has two distinctive formations. One looks like udders or breasts and the other looks like this. Weird and beautiful! Yes to more balanced ratio of sun to clouds. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. I can empathize with you, but you're not going to get much sympathy because we've certainly had the same kind of winter here in Tacoma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loren-- This has been an unbelievable winter. I will be so happy to wave goodbye to this one. I know you know what a bummer it has been.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful pictures. I love taking cloud pictures, too. That huge cloud, overtaking the sky, is quite incredible...and then, it didn't even rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OWL-- I am so glad you like to take photos of clouds too. The sky is really inspiring. Yes, we were surprised by the presence of that big cloud and no rain!

      Delete
  12. Lots of great cloud photos! A couple of them on Wednesday were more than a little bit end of the world scary.

    ReplyDelete