Monday, April 10, 2017

Deleting The Moon

I noticed the other day that I had over 21,000 photos in my iPhoto folder on my computer hard-drive. I had, many years ago, transferred five years of photos (2005 to 2010) on to discs and deleted them from my computer, but I hadn't done a very good job of keeping the photos from piling up since then. Twenty-one thousand photos is a lot of photos to look over when trying to decide what to delete. I download every photo from my camera and only play around and edit the ones I like, but I NEVER seem to get around to deleting the ones that  are duplicate, useless, and poorly photographed. So, I have started this tiring, daunting, and crazy task of looking over these photos and deleting them.
Screenshot of the delete file. Good bye moon!
Here is a screen shot of the moon photos that I deleted on Saturday. How many photos of the moon, the moon and venus, the moon and mars, the moon full, the moon eclipsed do I need to have? I suddenly started wondering why I even photograph the moon, stars, and planets at all. I've looked at the photos. There ain't nothing there that hasn't been photographed a million times by a million photographers. It all looks the same.
Hello beautiful yellow moon.
Okay, there are a few exceptions, like this moon rise in Capitola. Look at the color! That is definitely a keeper. Or the moon with a 22 degree halo. So, once I decide to keep one, I have to decide which one.

Screenshot of photos I'll be considering deleting soon.
See what happens? Each of those 21,000 photos has to be looked at individually.That's true of every butterfly, dragonfly, moth, and spider that crossed paths with us and unknowingly posed for photos. Also true of every snowfall, sunrise, sunset, and rainbow. Then there are the mushrooms, flowers, tomatoes, and peppers, etc. Which one goes? Which one stays?
Screenshot of deleted froggies!
And then there are the animals. I have been looking at so many bird, deer, rabbit, frog (I was blown away by the number of frog photos I had) and otter (sea and river) photos trying to decide... this one or that one. I don't want to keep any that are simply redundant and I don't want to back up all the photos and decide later. I  am doing the work now to be done with it. But what a crazy task.

I began deleting photos from April 2010, and as of this writing I am now up to March 2012. Five years of photos to go, five years. Wish me luck!

25 comments:

  1. Ah, the perennial problem! Sometimes it's a question of which photo is the best quality. I'll choose one for the calendar, but not recall which of very similar images it was and then I'm too lazy to go back in and figure it out so I can delete the others.
    Ultimately, my attitude is that if I haven't done anything with a photo for a year, then out it should go. (Note the use of "should").
    Good luck with the task, and if you develop any tricks for decision-making, please share them with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCorax-- I like your philosophy about one year. I may try that. Also, I am starting to delete pics right off the camera before the download. Funny thing this morning, I opened the blinds looking west and there was the moon almost full and setting in the most beautiful light. I said, "Hello moon," and went to the kitchen to make tea and toast. No photos!

      Delete
  2. I am having the same dilemma too! What do I keep and what do I delete. As you say how many moon photos do you need???
    You reminded me to transfer my recent photos to a disk. Thanks!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat Lover-- Well, I have 18,000 photos to look at now. I may get more ruthless as I go forward. I just don't want to keep saving a million photos of things I didn't really want in the first place. This is a new way for me.

      Delete
  3. a tedious task! I suppose I should do the same, at least get rid of the ones with obvious technical issues. But, it's, like I said, tedious, and I get all whiny when things get tedious. Waaaaahhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara-- Tedious, neck-aching, and boring. Yes, I get whiny too. I plan to keep at it though. As much of a drag as it is, it must be done.

      Delete
  4. I think this is a problem common to all of us. I have three laptops and I keep the old ones purely because I'm too lazy to purge the photographs and put the keepers on an external drive. Kudos to you for getting to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NCmountainwoman-- I can't tell you how glad I am to know I am not alone in my overwhelming photo numbers. It's work, but I'm plugging away, one photo at a time!

      Delete
  5. Oh I don't envy you. Yes I do the same and need to do a purge also. Glad you aren't going willy nilly though, you have some grand shots to keep. That yellow moon for sure. Are you going to capture tomorrow's Pink Moon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti-- It's been interesting looking back at old photos. A walk down memory lane. I may look for that Pink Moon. I saw a beautiful yellow this morning as it was setting.

      Delete
  6. The downside of digital photography! It's great when you can take hundreds of photos at a time, but it's not so great when you have to go through them all. It sounds like you have way more patience than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon-- Yes, it is definitely the downside of digital photography. I probably should have started this early in winter when it was pouring rain everyday. I plan to do it a few hours everyday until I'm done with it.

      Delete
  7. you wouldn't know it from my comment frequency but I probably have 50 of these saved at a minimum. And most of those I sent to family/friends. So your sphere of photo-influence is huge! (how to change the world)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mary-- I love knowing that you like my photos enough to share them with your family/friends. Your comment made my day. Thank you for that!

      Delete
  8. I have NEVER taken a photo of the moon as good as all those you are deleting!

    I totally know what you mean about the photos piling up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat-- And I always wish I could take better photos of the moon. I bet you have plenty of beauties!

      Delete
    2. Nope! Not a single decent photo of the moon.

      Delete
  9. Oh my! I just checked my computer. I have 93,856 photos. If I had a year to go through them, I'll be I could delete at least half of them. Probably more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat-- Wow! Now that's a lot of photos to go through. I am practicing deleting unwanted ones as I go along. We'll see how that goes. Good luck, if you choose to attempt a purge!

      Delete
  10. I'm like you and forget about them, I really need to sort though my old photos some time. Just bought a new 500mm Zoom lens so looking forward to see if I can get some moon shots like you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill-- I am already looking forward to your moon shots!

      Delete
  11. Yes, I think this is a problem common to all of us. It is so difficult to choose which photo to delete...

    Love the moon photos, principally the yellow moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sonia-- I think I'm learning how to choose which photos to get rid of. It's quite a process. So glad you liked the moon photos. I love that yellow moon too!

      Delete
  12. That's an overwhelming number of photos. I try to keep mine under control, but it's not easy. Of course, I think you take many more pictures than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark-- I take a lot of photos, but most of them should be deleted before I ever connect the camera to the computer.

      Delete