Monday, May 15, 2017

Moon and Dove

I had a lovely birthday, and I thank you for all the good wishes. I did get to talk to my mom and she said, "I'm sorry I forgot your birthday." I said, "You didn't forget, there's still time to say 'happy birthday, Robin' to me, and I'll love it." She said it with the most loving joy in her voice. And then she asked me if it was someone else's birthday as well. She remembered! So I gave her Michael's telephone number, and when she was writing it down and repeating it to me it reminded me of something that happened just the other day. I posted about it on Facebook. Here's the post:
The phone rang. Roger answered it. I heard him say, "You have the wrong number." Then he said it again. Then he said our phone number to the caller. I was thinking, "Yikes, what kind of new phone scam is this?" He hung up and said that it was an old woman looking for her daughter. He felt bad for her. Then the phone rang again. I answered it. it was the old woman, and she really was looking for her daughter and it was not my mother looking for me. The woman told me that her daughter lives in Ohio and repeated the phone number. Yup, our number, but she didn't know that she had to dial the area code. So, I asked her where her daughter lives. She said Cincinnati, or maybe Akron. I looked up both cities and found three area codes. I had her write them down and read them back to me. She was very confused. We did it several times until she had the numbers straight. I wished her good luck and told her to call us again, if it didn't work out. I hope all confused seniors find a cooperative sad daughter at their wrong numbers.
I told my mother the story, and she loved it so much. When she called my brother to wish him a happy birthday she told him that I had just told her such a wonderful story.

Ah love. It can be such a heartbreak sometimes. Full of joy and tears, joy and tears.

26 comments:

  1. Must be getting old. I read your post from a previous year and thought your birthday was on Monday (tommorow). Guess it was Monday on a different year.

    Anyway, a belated Happy Birthday, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loren-- That's the goofiest part of those shared old memories on Facebook. They throw calendars out the window! Thank you for your good wishes.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you had that conversation with your mother. How wonderful. And how wonderful it was for you to be able to help someone else who may actually be going through the same struggles herself. The world needs more people like you. The last two sentences of your post are so, so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon-- Thank you for your kind words. The old woman caller was SO old, I felt really bad for her. I wish the world was full of kind-hearted people and nothing else.

      Delete
  3. You made two old women happy with your kindness, the woman looking for her daughter, and your own mother. Not a bad day's work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette-- Thank you! The world needs more kindness. It should overflow everyday. That's what I wish.

      Delete
  4. Joy and tears, joy and tears. Perfect description of the ups and downs of dementia. So glad you got the birthday wishes from your mom. One of the joys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NCmountainwoman-- Just hearing her same my name with such love was the best birthday present ever! Yes, truly one of the joys.

      Delete
  5. For all the sadness embedded in this account, there is a sustaining love that made me catch my breath. I hope the woman reached her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCorax-- I hope the woman reached her daughter as well. You know me, I did some online sleuthing (her phone number and name was on our phone). The woman's husband died in 2006 at the age of 89. He was born in 1917, which means he would be 100 this year. His wife sounded very, very old. I hope she found her daughter. I hope her daughter called on Mother's Day.

      Delete
  6. Hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lindaj-- It was a lovely day. We took a walk at the marsh. It was sunny, and then it rained on us! We laughed and laughed. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Such a sad story - thank you for your kindness. And I am so happy for you that you had this nice exchange with your mother on your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabine-- The world is full of sad stories, and I guess the only answer is kindness. I am surprised I stay a bit hopeful in the face of what is happening in our country. Hearing my mother say Happy Birthday with a voice as sweet and loving as I've ever heard, that did make my day.

      Delete
  8. You were so sweet to take the time to look up area codes and help that lady. I sure hope she found her daughter.
    Wonderful news that your Mom got to wish you Happy Birthday and to Michael also. What a great birthday present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti-- I was so glad I could help, or at least try to. It's the bet we can do for each other. Hearing my mother's voice now takes on a whole new meaning for me now. I appreciate every word.

      Delete
  9. So much love in this post, robin! Beautiful moon and dove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am-- Yes, so much love. Thank you for that.

      Delete
  10. I love this photo, and I love that you had a good conversation with your mother. That was a birthday gift to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara-- I love that you love this photo. Thank you for that. Yes, that conversation with my mom was the best gift.

      Delete
  11. Yes, what a wonderful conversation! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Compassion............ love this story. Hoping to hear more such stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan-- Thank you so much for stopping by. Really glad you liked this story. We loved meeting you today!

      Delete
  13. Oh yeah, life can really be a roller coaster at times. Loved this post Robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat-- Oh it is definitely a roller coaster. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete