Thursday, August 03, 2017

74 + 1

last year i wrote a post for my birthday labelled “74.”

so. another year older and not deeper in debt.

the decimal system prompts us to pay more attention to numbers ending in zero, and to a lesser extent, ending in 5. but this particular year ending in 5 is surely more worthy of attention than 65 or 55, because it is also 3/4 of a century. i have been alive for 3/4 of a century! and yet, whenever i am it is always now.

some times i think that the weight of the past, all of it, good and bad, is what slows us down as we pass from a now of youth to a now of old. it’s just that there is so much of it. new stuff doesn’t always find room in our memory even though old stuff is almost perceivably fading.

obviously i am no wiser than last year. hopefully not less wise.

my skin has not grown thicker. quite the opposite. i mean my actual dermis. it tears and punctures more easily than it did last year. as i am a bit clumsy my arms and hands suffer continual wounds. on the bright side the very same dermis heals nicely. also my blood pressure is still high enough to warrant treatment. though, despite my doctor’s disapproval, i do eschew meds on days when my blood pressure is close to normal.

i’m not complaining though. working in the garden, walking on the beach or in the forest, seeing my family, and living pretty much 24/7 with my wonderful wife robin keeps me busy and happy.

i just reread last year's post. i will update my conclusion. it has become a much much stranger trip.

and the furry freak brothers are still right on.

33 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Roger - never mind the dermis. It's life. Be here now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I wish you a happy birthday then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many Happy returns, your as young as you feel. Enjoy it and be happy that's what I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am about 14 years old... in my mind

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday, Roger. As I approach the 74 point, I do find it different to be this side of 70-- it's actually old age. We don't get there, most of us, in our 60s but now we really are there. It looks to me like you are doing well for being there. (I take the bp meds regularly but a lower dose with the hopes by doing it daily, I won't have to increase it...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I am on a low dose already. hope it works for you

      Delete
  5. Even at 75 years old, you make a very attractive garden gnome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I need the hat to complete my ensemble

      Delete
  6. We wish you a very happy birthday; you and Robin are vital and intelligent, a wonderful part of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As they say, the road goes on forever and the party never ends.

    I remember a post you wrote when you lived on the Olympic peninsula about some maintenance you were doing on the house. Perhaps it was a soffit repair and involved setting up scaffolding. I thought at the time that you were the man. Keep it going.

    Best,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well thank you. the party never ends cause we're on a lifelong beer run.

      Delete
  8. Looking good there youngster. See there is always someone who thinks you are still a puppy.
    Know what you mean about the skin. My brother and I judge the difficulty of a job by how many band-aids it takes to complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. woof woof. i'm sitting up.thanks

      Delete
    2. Patti-- "cap house" is one of Roger's other blogger accounts, in case you were wondering!

      Delete
  9. Wow! 75! Love the photo Robin took of you and the flowers to document the occasion, as well as revisiting 74. Yep. This past year. A much much stranger trip.

    In the town where I live, 75 years old means a free bus pass for the rest of one's life. Further! We're all bozos on this bus.

    "Well, it's all right ..."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA

    happy birthday and kind wishes always,
    am

    ReplyDelete
  10. 75 has been a good year for me, though it doesn’t seem too different from the previous 74, except for the skin abrasions, and a few more aches and pains when I try to get up after weeding too long in one place. Nothing that a walk along the beach won’t cure, I always say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i find weeding quite calming, except for the getting up part. a walk on the beach is always good medicine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! I think you're right about the weight of past experiences -- the simultaneous blurring of old events and forgetting of newer ones. It's hard to keep all that information straight! I feel that way already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. what tricks our memory plays at times

      Delete
  13. Great garden photo. Happy Birthday! Enjoy those beach walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. the beach has been foggy for several days. not so inviting when it is sunny elsewhere.

      Delete
  14. Happy birthday Roger! It is kind of funny how certain numbers seem so significant. I used to think 50 was a big deal, but I seem to have forgotten what the big deal was. Anyway, may you have many, many more good years. It sounds like you have a good thing going.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday my dear friend. Steve follows you in October. Yes, 75 sounds OLD, but I don't think of you as such. Except for that skin stuff. I've noticed that about mine as well. Tears so easily now. You lead a charmed life in many ways, and make your own happiness along with Robin. I hope to see you before 76 rolls around. Keep weeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it does sound old. doesn't feel it.
      thanks

      Delete
  16. Happy birthday!!!

    May you enjoy many more with great health and happiness with your precious partner

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday, Roger. Always enjoy your annual progress reports on the nature of accumulating earth time. Best wishes for the coming year. Carry on, sir!

    ReplyDelete