Monday, August 14, 2017

When Lousy Weather Is A Good Thing

We've had overcast foggy skies for more than  a week. It hung over us with relentless dimness, a shadowless gray that stretched as far as the eyes could see. Day unfolded to night with just a lowering of the gray scales until fully dark. I haven't photographed much of anything for so long, and yet I am not disappointed. What could I possibly post here that could balance the madness that grips our country? I am sitting on a Sunday afternoon typing these words, feeling slightly post-traumatic stressed. I can't think of a single beauty that would balance the unleashed hatred that spilled blood in the streets of Charlottesville. My older brother had talked of going to the rally to protest. We marched together in the streets of Newark, NJ in the late 1960s protesting the war in Vietnam. I called him Saturday morning to check in with him and make sure he wouldn't go. He lives only a half hour drive away. He said he had re-thought it and wouldn't go. He knew it would be dangerous, and it was.

Who are we? Why do we still have these same battles year after year, century after century? I'm tired of seeing arms raised in the Nazi salute, swastikas, torches burning, and the signs of the Klan, alt-right symbols and all the newly adopted signs of hatred of our modern world. Who are we?

On Saturday we went to a garage sale. When we walked up the driveway the woman sitting there gave me one of those looks. What look was that? The one that said "Oh you brown-skinned person, why are you here on my driveway?" We looked around and then left. When we walked away I said to Roger, "I really don't like that woman." He said, "Why?" I said because of the way she looked at me. He said, "Oh yeah, that, she didn't look at you in a friendly way at all." 

 Who are we?

Okay, so here's one photo. I'm pretending that the birds are shouting. "Who are you? Who are you? Please stop with the violence and hatred. Please."

PS:  We had to turn on comment moderation for the first time because some unknown comment-bot was leaving ridiculous comments.

18 comments:

  1. Unless my eyes deceive me those birds are definitely MIGRANTS, here to get what they can and then leave when the going gets tough. Well, my friends, we'll soon stop that. We'll build a WALL, that'll stop 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John-- You made me laugh out loud. I thank you so much for that. Yes those swallows must be STOPPED!!

      Delete
  2. We need a leader who inspires all Americans to be bigger than their deepest, most unreasonable fears. This leader is definitely not that person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve-- We are in such dire straits here. I truly despair over how far down this maniac is going to drag us.

      Delete
  3. I know it's hard to trust in the goodness of people when stuff like this happens. But there is no other way.

    I have been to several anti neo nazi events here and although we always outnumbered them, it left a nasty taste for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabine-- You are very brave to go to neo-nazi events in protest. I am so afraid of hateful people.

      Delete
  4. Sadly our leader has given them the boldness to come out from under their rocks. I guess the shear number is what frightens me the most. So glad your brother did not go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti-- Yes, the president has definitely emboldened them. Today he came out and denounced them, but I suspect it was motivated by politics only and certainly not a change of personal ethics.

      Delete
  5. I, too, am feeling a tad PTSDy. The mail arrived today with the latest magazine from Southern Poverty Law Center. Though the news is grim, it's groups like this that keep me afloat.

    How in the world can a terrorist organization get a parade permit? If ISIS applied, wouldn't they be denied? That's what these groups are: domestic terrorists.

    A bit of good news: a mayor in KY is moving post-haste to remove all confederate statues. He has speed up the schedule due to Charlottesville.

    Hang in there, sis. We're in this together and we'll hold each other up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara-- Someone wrote 1967 was the Summer of Love, and now 2017 is the Summer of Hate. I'm feeling a bit shattered by it, and really I don't see how it will end in any good way. We are all in this together, but are we on a sinking ship? Sorry for being such a bummer. Sigh.

      Delete
  6. Robin, the events in Charlottesville this weekend were devastating, and the sad thing is, the hate groups have been emboldened, they've tasted anarchy, national frenzy, and seen the mobs who will march with them holding tiki torches, and so they are already planning to do it again, in texas next time. People don't really understand what it is like to walk through this country with brown skin; the vigilance we have to deploy in all new situations, to assess whether we are safe. I am sorry you had that experience at the garage sale. If we are on a sinking ship, then we must learn how to swim. I am glad to be here in your gentle company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 37paddington-- I like your attitude about learning to swim. I do think it's important to be strong and to take a stand. Sometimes though when the world looks about as opposite of my dreams as it does now, I just feel a little broken. I'll come around, I always do. Thank your kind words.

      Delete
  7. Robin Andrea,
    I am hoisting myself up out of a huge sinkhole of despair and depression after the horrible events Saturday and our "leader's" inability to sincerely condemn such vicious hate and bigotry.
    I have, however, managed to take delight in the many tiny hummingbirds arriving at our feeder -- creatures so small yet so strong and courageous.
    I can only hope that history books will portray our "leader" as the small, pathetic, cowardly joke that he truly is.
    Cathy McDonald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy-- It's true there is delight in watching the hummingbirds. It's good to be reminded of the simple beauty of our planet. Thank you for that.

      Delete
  8. The lack of imagination that compels them to use those hackneyed WWII symbols starkly outs them as some failed evolutionary branch of homonids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil-- I love that description, "some failed evolutionary branch of hominids." That gives me hope that they will disappear and merely be a pile of bones in the fossil record, a record they don't believe in. Hah! They are such dangerous ignorant jerks.

      Delete
  9. Your right, too much hatred in the world today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill-- I so wish it would stop and we would all wake up and see that we're all in this together.

      Delete