Saturday, October 21, 2017

modern medicine

i’m having a medical procedure done soon. in preparation i have to modify my diet a slight bit for a few days. nothing major or difficult, just avoiding certain foods. i also have to drink a weird cocktail of chemicals the day before. sodium sulfate, potassium sulfate, and magnesium sulfate.

i want a picture here but nothing relevant to this post. this is some of our garden heading into winter.


ok, the procedure is a colonoscopy and the chemicals are heavy duty laxatives. i got a coupon from the doctor’s office for up to 30% off whatever price i pay. i checked it out on the internet. anyone can print one.

so we go to the pharmacy, ask for the prescription, and put down the coupon. i am currently without drug insurance due to a hiccup in switching our medicare supplemental policies to a different provider. my 3 month supply of blood pressure meds went from $8 (insured) to $47 (uninsured). i hadn’t really thought ahead about the cost of laxatives. how much could it cost? about one hundred dollars is how much. my widely available coupon did save me 30%.

i wondered how much the ingredients of such super pooper stuff might cost. the package informed me that 6 oz of product contains 17.5 G sodium sulfate, 3.13 G of potassium sulfate, and 1.6G of magnesium sulfate. there are two 6 oz bottles.

after a whole 4 minutes of internet search i found that i could buy medical grade stuff pretty cheaply.

sodium sulfate 500G for $54.50. so 500/17.5 = 28 doses: $54.5/28 = $1.95 per 6 oz bottle.

potassium sulfate 250G for $53.40. so 250/3.13 = 79 doses: $53.40/79 = $0.67 per 6 oz bottle

magnesium sulfate 500G for $73.90. so 500/1.6 = 312: $73.90/312 = $0.24 per 6 oz bottle.

that’s $3.72 of ingredients in 2 6 oz bottles.

i know that presenting that product to me in a sanitary package involves a whole lot more than the ingredients. even so.

why i'm having a colonoscopy 

this will be my third colonoscopy after surgery and chemo. there were polyps but no cancer. i have also had 4 pet scans since surgery and nary a sign of a cancer cell.

36 comments:

  1. Sending good thoughts. Be well friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say that if it hurts it's doing you good - it's certainly painful for the pocket. All best wishes from England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. the prep is distasteful at least. I'll be in anesthetic dreamland clear through the colonoscopy and on to trying to get dressed afterward.

      Delete
  3. You are one fortunate and strong man. Here's hoping all is fine. Sending positive vibes clear across the country to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fork over that money, buddy! I hate that all this stuff costs so much - insult to injury. I hope the procedure goes well. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my buddy visa paid for it.

      love ya back

      Delete
  5. Ah yes...They used to call that concoction 'Go Lightly'... to not prepare you for what lay ahead. Not funny. Good luck and may you be forever cancer free my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sis. so far the bad taste is the worst.

      Delete
  6. Yikes, that prep is bad enough to go through with out draining your pocketbook also. Unfair practice. Hoping you have an uneventful procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making your own secret sauce doesn't seem like a great DIY project...

    Very glad the other ones have gotten the all-clear. Fingers crossed for this time, too!

    Have you planned your first meal? I was so hungry, and forced my driver to take me for something extremely unhealthy on the way home. Probably, you have stronger defenses against that kind of thing...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a 10 minute drive home, during which I will still be very dopy. the usual plan. open the refrigerator and stare at the foods available. TOAST

      Delete
  8. hoping it all comes out perfectly ;) and the results are excellent! hope you 2 have a yummy celebration in a couple of days post the scope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a fun procedure but definitely a good thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is. I'm a bit late for my 3 yr checkup.

      Delete
  10. It helps to mix it with watery fruit juice or to alternate sipping from juice or whatever herb tea you like and drinking that stuff. Good luck, the prep day is the worst. But you already know that.
    I have done this shit eight times by now and the next one is looming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabine-- Hope your results turn out as good as Roger's today. Good news is the best news!

      Delete
    2. I will try the juice next time. I just slugged it down till I got ice cream head, waited bit and carried on. I did take a large teaspoon of honey after. may your next time be as easy and as positive as mine this time

      Delete
  11. it's done. all ok. diverticuli but no polyps. good for 5 years. thanks again for the good wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm here just in time to hear the good news that you passed the test. Yaaaayyyy! Toast sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you've come out the other side of this one. And especially glad you got good results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I did not expect such nice outcome

      Delete
  14. Feel for you on that. Lucky for me my blood pressure tablets are on the National Health now as I'm over 60 so don't pay. Ex-lax is laxative you can get over the counter here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I will have drug insurance in November. bp meds will cost $8 for 3 months. I suspect that exlax is not as strong as what they gave me.

      Delete
  15. I have to get one of those lovely things every three years. I'm reading the posts backwards, so I already know the results!
    Good news...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. better than I expected. maybe I've cleaned up my act a bit. may all of your tests yield good news

      Delete
  16. it all comes out in the end, eh? glad the results are good. xo

    ReplyDelete