Monday, November 06, 2017

Lookin' Out The Window

Life gets pretty small when you're sick. The view is limited. The perspective framed by glass and windowpanes. It had been foggy for days again, and then the rains came. It was boring as could be, but then I noticed this.
The yard was filling up with birds flitting about from fence to tree, from tree to garden and then back. I was delighted watching them. There were so many different species I was actually surprised. There were, of course, the usual hummingbirds and their territorial confrontations. It was this bird, the Fox Sparrow that caught my attention. At first I thought it was a Hermit's Thrush (and that's probably because my twin brother had just sent me a photo of the one he saw in his yard). So I got distracted by trying to identify it. That took time, and that was fun.
Then this lovely little Black-capped Chickadee showed up. It climbed up the tree trunk like a woodpecker, and even moved up and down the fence boards like a ninja. I loved watching it. It didn't stay still long enough for a good photo, but it took my attention, and that was fun.
I'd been noticing this Black Phoebe hunting insects in the yard for days. I love when it sits on the wheelbarrow wheel like this. I had the time to wait for it to pose, and when it did, I clicked. That was fun.

The next morning, before sunrise I saw the full moon in the western sky. Oh that halo was such a lovely sight after all the days of fog and rain. I grabbed the camera with my heart full of joy, and that was fun.

The sun came out. Oh, it was beautiful. I could see all the spider webs everywhere between the fence boards. We had no idea how removing every other fence board would create such lush spider habitat, but it did. They are such tireless little spinners. And their work is really quite lovely when lit by the morning sun. Yes, I had fun.
Even the tired old rose hips took on a look of webbed beauty after the spiders' spinning magic. I enjoyed the view even if it did remind me that I needed to go out and deadhead the roses again. Ah, when I'm feeling better I promised myself. And I will, and it will be fun.

PS- I'm getting better! My voice is a little raspy and I croak like a frog when I try to talk very much, but I am on the way to good health. Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful good wishes. I appreciated every word.


22 comments:

  1. That moon shot is wonderful. So is feeling better, ya? Good to hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isabelita-- That moon really made my day!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're getting better! You definitely maximized your opportunities considering you were more or less housebound. Lots to see and photograph! I love watching the birds in our garden and on our feeders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve-- It really is good to be entertained by small feathery wildlife, while recovering from a virus!

      Delete
  3. Amazing what's just outside our own windows when we take the time to see. Glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NCmountainwoman-- It's true! There really is so much going on outside our windows. I wish I could have gotten a focused shot of the Townsend Warbler. Those yellows were gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. I agree that you made the most of being housebound. The photo of the web between the fence boards is just wonderful. And who wouldn't love to see all those birds? I'm so glad you're on the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon-- I'm so glad you liked those webs. They are really so beautiful and intricate. It was quite healing to be so entertained.

      Delete
  5. You definitely took full advantage of your confinement. Amazing what there is to see if we just look. Quite a show nature put on for you. So glad you are on the uphill side of the punies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti-- It really is amazing what we can see from our windows, if we take the time to look.

      Delete
  6. Good to know you are feeling better. As always, I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette-- So glad you like these photo. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Good to know you are feeling better. So sweet that you could see so much from your window. Love the alternating fence boards and spider webs in the sunlight. Loved seeing the Black Phoebe. A glimpse of my mother! I have only seen Black Phoebes in connection with my mother. You might remember that story. Had never consciously seen one until three days after she died in Gualala. We don't have them here in Washington. It's a beautiful day up here. Cold and clear. The unexpected snow of a few days ago has mostly melted. Red-winged blackbirds at the suet feeder this afternoon. Soon you'll be out walking again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am-- I am so surprised to learn that Black Phoebes have such a small range. It's true! We see them in our yard all the time. I will think of your mother now whenever we do. I've been out walking (once on Saturday and again on Monday). It is part of my get well regime!

      Delete
  8. The chickadee's are my favorite. It amazes me how they can survive the harsh weather we can have here. Keep getting better Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave-- I love knowing that you have Chickadees up in Alaska. They must be tougher than they look.

      Delete
  9. Nothing like watching the birds out the window to lift your spirits especially when the rain stops and the sun comes out. Took some webs in our garden the other day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill-- It's true, these birds definitely lifted my spirits. Even the spiderwebs were a delight!

      Delete
  10. I haven't put any birdseed into my feeder yet this season (it's still very warm in the central Piedmont), and I'm not sure that I will feed this winter (I know I'll "buckle" when the snow flies and the birds get desperate), but I have yet to see a Fox Sparrow this season. They usually appear for a day or so, sporadically, under my feeder throughout the season. But, if I don't feed, I likely won't see one.

    The images of the spider webs are really nice, too.

    I'm glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott-- We haven't put out any birdseed at all and haven't for years. They seem to like whatever is growing in our yard. It's pretty cool. Glad you liked the spider webs photos. Good to hear from you. It's been a while!

      Delete
  11. A lot of great photos and didn't even have to leave your yard. Maybe the word about your yard is out in the bird world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat-- I think the birds love our garden because all the insects love our garden as well! Glad you liked the pics!

      Delete